Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: kill processes without taskmanager or command prompt

thanks for the hint, but that much i already knew
    problem is that all policies are controlled from the domain, not locally, so changing the registry locally wouldn't make a diffence, tried that all ready

quote:
    Dunno if this was mentioned..

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm

if this works on 2k too, it would be a great program, this should solve the problem!
    However, it is nice to have a tool what can do what i want, i still want to find out how it works, so a new challenge has been born
    this doesn't work here, same problem, not a local policy!!

this system is really nicely restricted!
    but there has to be a way, and i will find it!!!!

Hm.... I thought that local policy runs last...

Once I had to set something, and change in registry overrided domain policy... well, until next logon ofcourse... but I guess that needs admin priviledges... damn... did you checked that legacy NT4 login scripts.. they are usualy overlooked?

yes, your admin gave you tough one... btw, how many times he had to change policy due to your discoveries?
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

he had to change the policies about 6-7 times in total.
    as for the logon scripts, where exaclty can they be found on 2k?
    cause i've been searching on the system , but haven't found anything usefull....
    as for the registry settings for local policies, it could be that your right, i'll have to test it with the taskmgr, but since i haven't got another 2k system by hand, i don't know which key i should change for this since i can not view the registry on this system....
    gotta install 2k on another system first....

Now I have to try to remember my MCP classes.... few years ago...
    basicaly, when you deploy Active Directory, there is network share on DC for policies and login/logoff scripts for NT4, because NT4 worstations can't read GPO... there must be some more info on support.microsoft.com ... I'll try to do a little search too..

as for registry, one info... when you deploy GPO, all settings, restrictions etc. are then writen to registry.. that is how local system knows what is permited and what isn't...
    You will have to lay your hands on one (w2k and XP are similar, but I never checked if they are the same)... the only thing you have to do is to make .reg file run on startup and set key for blocking cmd or taskmgr to 0x00000000...
    I might find it for you, but then, I would spoil everything, would I?

If you set up another w2k, make sure that you make at least local policy with similar roules, so that proper registry keys are created...

I found this one on microsoft... there should be some interesting read here
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...nt/default.asp
    Ikalo
    ------

thanks, i'll go check it out!!!

****EDIT****
    installed w2k on my notebook, but forgot that i can not make a mirror of my system at home since the server that is used at work is w2k server, which has much more configuration options for the policies.

even after changing the policies so that one specific user ( named "user" ) can do nothing else except shutting down the system and logon locally, this account still has much more privilages then my account at work

so have to get w2k server first before i can continue...
    meanwhile i'll keep searching for articles about the registry of w2k, especially for the policies..

i'll let you guys know if i found something...
    if you know any good articles/tutorials please let me know!
    ****EDIT****

you don't have to bother with w2k server...

if your notebook has NIC, just make it a memeber of your work domain...
    you will get all policies you need to check out.
    Ikalo
    ------

but that's gonna be a problem, i can't just add a computer to the domain, a password is needed for this, and they wouldn't like it if i used their password to add my notebook...

so that's not an option i'm afraid....

you still don't need server...
    on your notebook, start gpedit.msc... that is for local policies... that should give you enough options for runing programs, and blocking them...
    Ikalo
    ------

you still don't need server...
    on your notebook, start gpedit.msc... that is for local policies... that should give you enough options for runing programs, and blocking them...
    gee, thanks!
    there are some policies here that i've missed, this should do the trick!!!