Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My homepage is being stolen from me.

Talking My homepage is being stolen from me.

Hello there hi council of registry wizards and wizardesses,

I have a problem with my homepage, i'm using the WindowsMe OS and the page keeps changing itself to search-space.com.

Everytime i change it back it just re-appears again, my own fault for turning my firewall off the other night, learning from my mistakes still.

Does anyone know what part of the registry i need to go to in order to delete the key that this search-space thing is in?

(also sorry Ms Mittens or whoever if this is in the wrong forum.)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Umm... You might want to install a Spyware detection software. In the meantime, following these instructions

[/edit]

Moved this from GCC to Spyware/Adware.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Check out this thread:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=254263

I posted a link to CoolWebSearch Shredder, which will probably take care of your browser hijack.
    [shadow]Wizard In Training[/shadow]

i had the same problem sometimes the home page changes to search-space.com and some time to msn.com althow i had Ad-aware 6.0 and AVG installed but they both were not able to fix the problem. i used CWShreadder http://spywareinfo.com/ to remove the infection

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I have a problem with my homepage, i'm using the WindowsMe OS and the page keeps changing itself to search-space.com.
    The reason it keep's changing because you have spyware installed on your PC. When you have spyware on your PC and everytime you reboot the computer it get's reactived to stop this from happening Either download spybot or seek-and-destory both of these can be found at www.download.com find the spyware and remove it. After you removed the spy ware open up Internet Explorer go to tools, internet options, on the general tab type the site you want to set as your homepage click apply then OK. Hope this helps. Now as far as the firewall you didnt mention the manufacture of it if the firewall has a feature toblock all 3rd party cookies you should set it to that.

Again sorry Ms Mittens! (second thread made, second thread in the wrong forum)

Thanks people but i already have spybot and ad-aware installed. I've ran two checks but haven't found anything so i'll run another with each and see if i find anything this time. The shredder sounds perfect, i've used one before and it worked but this time i don't know where the damn key is so i'm stuck. I even ran a search of the full registry but found nothing related to search-space!

If i use a shredder (spybot shredder i can use that.) i need the location of the key, i don't know if it's a CLSID or not but it needs to be located before i can shred, any ideas?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Eonfire, have you looked at CWShredder?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Eonfire, Use CWShredder found here: http://www.merijn.org/downloads.html
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Thanks MsMittens and Moxninx i'll take the advice this time and download the CW shredder. Will post back with the results.

Thumbs up

Yes it worked, thanks for the advice and the link, i'll try your advice straightaway next time instead of thinking i can do it myself!