Thread: New system time :)...

Post New system time :)...

Hello all, at work I recently came into some money..About $800 actually...And I decided it's time to build another machine for my LAN. I work at a computer repair shop, so i'm ordering everything through them...I've also decided i want a machine that I want to watch DVD's on, and a dedicated server and attack box for my LAN...A mixed breed between a high-end machine and your average box I guess you could say..Well i'll stop rambling, my point is that I want to describe my box's specs to AO, and see if it is an "Over-Kill" or not..
    As for case, I went with the X-Dreamer II Case from www.frozencpu.com < Great Company
    I figured I had to add some geekiness to my system as well...
    ok, i've decided to go with the intel D865GBF chipset for a main board, because I need the extra slots for upgrades...
    Could've paid the extra 20 for the GBFL, but I have enough nic's anyway, and i'm worried about drivers for *nix..
    For processor, I'm going with the Pentium 4 2.8 ghz cpu...
    512 mb RAM... 2 separate 256 mb cards...
    ATI AIW 9600 video (Unreal Tournament )
    80 gb HD
    Most of my peripherals are samsung by the way...
    DVD-R Drive
    cd-rom
    standard floppy
    As for sound, im going to go with the integrated sound on the board till otherwise...
    Came to about $756 street price...Hell maybe i'll have enough left for a pizza...Just want some opinions on my new system ideas.....

Sounds to me that you did pretty good.

The ATI and P4 2.8 will keep up with a lot of games.
    The 512mb will be nice, however if you start doing a lot of intensive stuff on the LAN i.e webserver, fileserver etc then I would upgrade to 1gb ram.
    =

sound like you have a nice box put together all though I tend to think you might want a gig of ram if you want to use it as a server and a game machine.
    [Shadow] have you ever noticed work is like a tree full of monkeys you look down and all you see is monkeys below you then you look up and all you see is a bunch of *******s above[/shadow]

Old Fart
    /me wants an Opteron.......
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

AO French Antique News Whore
    Sound pretty nice.. More Memory is not bad. Hard drive is a bit low for me. DVD-R is a DVD-ROM (Not a Writable one right bcuz DVD-Writable suck with all the format out there)
    -Simon \"SDK\"