Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new and need help

Unhappy new and need help

Hi Im Debbe, not very knowledgeable with computers compared to you guys but I play an online game and have been getting hacked by other players, I stumbled onto your site while looking for a place to report internet crime and here I am hoping for some helpful advice or something.

More information

Just wondering ... What O/S are your running and why do you think you have been hacked?? What proof do you have? What did they get to lead you to think you have been hacked?

Regards,
    here in IT

Just Another Geek
    Indeed, what makes you think you are being hacked?

We also need some info about your setup.
    What windows version, do you use a personal firewall/virusscanner, what game etc.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Generally in games, especially most online games, if someone has been hacking the game they've either hacked the server or their own game so that they have some mods. The idea behind this is usually to give them an advantage over other players.

If you think that there's been hacking going on, unless you have a lot of proof that your computer was the target, I'd be willing to bet that they were hacking the server or themselves.

Many newer games even have a spot where you can introduce "Mods" or "modifications" to the game, which can alter the graphics, or permanently give them some sort of advantage. They often make game play more fun, but sometimes will change it so that the people who are playing have an easier time.

Its also possible that they people who you think hacked you have just been using cheat codes.

If you don't think that any of these things are the case, then what led you to believe that you've been hacked?
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

Ok I am on xp, the game I play is Delta Force, at the time of the incident I had avg anti virus and black ice firewall up and I was running IP Logger for the game. The reason I believe they hacked me is becuz as I was playing they came into my server, as usual, using racial slurs, and other vulgar language and telling me what to do, and sending packtes. I had to shut down becuz they had lagged my server up so bad. The hetx day when I got on my PC I had 2 trojan horses and the PC was running like crap. I started looking around and found some new files that I had no idea where they had come from. Includng one called cult of the dead cow which I read something about here on your site. An hour or two later I could no longer access the net at all or open any programs. I called my ISP and they asked me to go into network connections, well it was empty, so they had me go into control panel - system devices.........also empty! Not a single thing in there! Im not a pro here but I dont think it takes half a brain to figure out that if your system devices are empty that you have a problem. I hope I answered all your questions.

I never meant to imply you're not smart, I just wanted to know exactly what was going on.

Back Orifice, by Cult of the Dead Cow is a back-door program, I believe, something like Sub-Seven (though I also believe it came out first)

AVG SHOULD be able to get rid of it....but if it can't, you can try to use the System Restore feature. Restore your computer back to the earliest date before this happened. If that's not an option, you can also risk it and try to remove the virus by hand.

The website http://www.pchell.com/internet/boserve.shtml should prove to be pretty helpful for you.

Hope this helps!
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

Thanks for the link, I got rid of the trojans, but I couldnt use system restore I had to do system recovery. But is there ay ways to keep these jerks from doing this again? I have been told that as long as I dont run IPLogger they cant do this again, is that true?

Well, you canĀ“t make your Windows 100% secure.

What you can do is:

1. Check your own box for exploits and vulns. with Retina or a other Vuln. Scanner (Then install the updates)

2. Install a second firewall (BorderManager would be my suggestion)

3. Be paranoid! Never open somthin you downloaded from P2P networks or from Irc Channels...

4. Update your security software at least once a week (if possible)

5. Always try to use at least one transparent proxy

6. *Try* to get a router!

7. Get Linux

8. Make sure that your security software is always well configured!

9. Make a scan for Malware every week

Fell free to add points!
    I wouldn\'t recommend alcohol and drugs to anyone. But they have always worked for me.
    7777772E6765656B626F6172642E3279612E636F6D00
    7E4372456550797E4E6F447155657E00

They have given you some good things to do. One more thing I would throw in is for you to ALWAYS update with the MS Windows updates. Seeing how you are on XP I am going to guess that you have an icon in the system tray that pops up when a new update is out. Update as soon as you get it. They usually don't take very long. It's well worth it.

Also, welcome to the site! Stick around.

EDIT: You might want to keep the names in mind of those who are/were making the racial and/or other comments. You can report them to some Admin or Mod there.

Good luck.

OK thank you all, very helpful info