Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We keep getting hacked into......

Have you tried opening up the properties of the folders and giving the administrative account NTFS access? Even though you are logging in as the admin you can still setup NTFS files that the administrator cannot access without giving themselves permissions first.

Try using the secure shredder in Spybot S&D - or get one of your own shredders:

http://www.spychecker.com/program/necrofile.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;320081

A bunch of reasons as to why you may not be able to delete the folders, scan through them.

Btw, im madly in love with your avatar phantom.

thats really really close. for a minute i thought i was getting somewhere! I do have files that have invalid or reserved names. Unfortunately, the method for removal didn't work for me. I appreciate everyones help on this.

You may be able to use a function of Spybot Search & Distroy to remove these files. It has a 'Secure Sherreder' function that might remove completely all tracks of these files. I could not duplicate the 'no-name files' you have so I could not test this, but I did use an .exe file imbedded in 3 other folders and deleted it, by shredding the first folder.
    You can get Spybot Search & Distroy HERE for free.
    Ah ha fatphantom beat me to it....lol
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

ahhh.. the world of the scanners and taggers.. it's a most interesting world indeed.

FishTaco.. Status is right.. the warez doods hit you up and figured on using you as their warez server.

I did some research for you.. it took a bit for me to find it and I hope this is what they were doing to you because I really don't have much of a clue how it all works. All I know is that these guys/gals are getting pretty sophisticated with their techniques. I'm hiding this post and will be editing it later as I think this knowledge shouldn't be freely available..

This was taken from a post that was saved on a site that had tutorials on how to scan and tag servers to make a "pub". The site is now down. It shows how to lock directories and then how to break in or unlock them.. hopefully this is the technique they used on you.

How lo make a basic locked dir:

info edited out

But they can still 'clone' and break in.

To clone a locked dir,

info edited out

Windows wont allow it, so if someone wants to clone your locked
    dir they need to slip under Windows, i.e. in DOS, though if you work out a method otherwise, please dont be elitist and horde the knowledge amongst your friends.
    good luck..

The directories may just have an unprintable character as a name. You can do this by holding down the ALT key while using the numeric key pad and entering a 3-digit ASCII code. For example the character inside these double quotes -->"_" is not a space, it's an ASCII 255 or 0xFF that I entered using the keypad. This is a common way of creating such directories.

One way of deleting them is with Winternal's ERD Commander product. Another is to use a low-level disk editor to view the directory entries and see what the name actually is. Then you can delete them from the command line using the ALT-keypad method.

Now I don't know if this is really the case with you - but it's a fair assumption.

thaks for all of the help folks. im certain that im on the right track now. But please, keep the info coming, there is always a chance that none of these possible solutions will work. ty.

what exactly is a raw command, and where do i use them? its a new one for me, or i never heard that term applied to it.

Lightbulb Directory Question

I have a BAT file here that creates such directories. The directories are out of the Windows GUI ASCII range. Using extended ASCII for the names causes Windows to use spaces, or other such things for the names. They can't be read from source, because the name to Windows is " ", but not to DOS. Remember, Windows is nothing but a GUI (a bad GUI) to DOS.
    To delete them, do as an above post said, and get a low-level disk editor, or something of the like to delete them, or to atleast find the names of them, then delete them via command line.
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.