Thread: Piracy fighters raid offices of Sharman, others

Piracy fighters raid offices of Sharman, others

A music industry group on Friday raided the Australian offices of peer-to-peer companies Sharman Networks and Brilliant Digital Entertainment, along with the homes of key executives and several Internet service providers.

To read more about it
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5154506.html

OK, two very odd things i found about this article...

The order allows a copyright holder to enter premises to search for and seize material that breaches copyright, without alerting the target through court proceedings.
    that seems to me to be the most blatant invasion of privacy i have ever seen. just show up at your house, and look around for downloaded stuff....seems kinda off to me...

second,

MIPI general manager Michael Speck told ZDNet Australia that the order was specifically intended to gather evidence about the operators of the Kazaa network. "This is not about individuals; this is about the big fish," Speck said. "This is a signal that Internet music piracy is finished in Australia."
    Finished? i think that is a pretty rash assumption...there are other networks other than Sharman....well, guess we have to just wait and see how this plays out.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Errm...does Australia's Constitution have any amendments that guarantee a right to privacy?

groovicus:

why dont you look and find out? http://www.dpmc.gov.au/docs/constitution.cfm
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

that seems to me to be the most blatant invasion of privacy i have ever seen.

What I do know about the American constitution is that there is no Amendment granting a right to privacy, although it is inferred. From other posts here, it's my understanding that Australia doesn't have a right to free speech, and since their system was founded on British Common Law, I inferred that they probably don'[t have that right also, but I could be wrong.

I was assuming by your statement that you had some knowledge of the Australian constitution so I asked. I guess I should have known better. (and BTW, I had already looked... )

Haven't they learned- "Please don't sqeeze the Sharman" ( US tv ad).

I searched the document loacted @
    http://www.dpmc.gov.au/docs/constitution.cfm

the only "privacy" that came up was the privacy policy of the website....

http://www.dpmc.gov.au/docs/disclaimer.cfm
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.