Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote Shutdown Access Denied?

so, there is no way for me to use shutdown -m, psshutdown or psexec with windows xp home. my only option would be to install realvnc on my computer in order to manage it remotely through the network? correct?

Elite Hacker
    I'm sure there are options, I'll be working on it, and let you know if I find anything. I have a laptop with home on it. You may want to use realVNC anyway, just cause you can shut it down, and a whole lot more. You can do anything remotely that you would be able to do locally if you have a VNC server on the computer. But I'll try and figure out how to get psshutdown to work on XP home.

edit
    hrrm...
    Gosh Darnit, I can't figure out how to do it on XP home. Something like VNC may be your only option, and it definetly isn't a bad one. Definetly check it out.

i have this problem on some (but not all) dell gx260s and on no other machines as yet. the problem seems to go away if winpoet has been installed. this is just an observation and i haven't had the time to look into the changes made by a winpppovere install. you can try installing then disableing the start of it on these machines if your sure you network has been configured correctly ang your internet configuration is dsl.

Just for grins and giggles why don’t you enable the telnet server on a remote. in the telnet server configuration set the ntlm option to setting “1” and see if the server accepts your password that way.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

thanx for the support h3r3tic. ill use realvnc for now, but i'd really like to figure out why shutdown -m, psshutdown and psexec dont work. it keeps me up at night, know what i mean?

can't use blank passwords with pstools. If you don't want to put passwords on the user accounts that you use to login with then make another user account, place it in the admin group and put a password on it. Then use psshutdown with the username and password switch. I've never used the pstools on a network without domin controllers so I'm not sure on the syntax for the username. You may have to type it like this: [computername]\[username].
    Its good to be at the top of the network food chain.

We had this same problem in my A+ class, and all we did was disable simple file sharing, and that (seemed to) work pretty well.\

While on the subject, I like tightvnc since vnc is open source.... www.tightvnc.com

There is an option in the local security policy, this is assuming you are not using domain GPO, that enables or disables remote reboot functionality.

In windows 2000 it is in the local security settings MMC.

Local policies-
    User Rights Assignments-
    Force shutdown from a remote system

I know there is a similiar setting in XP, but it may be in a different area in the local security policy settings. In win2k this remote reboot is allowed for the administrators group only by default. I'm not sure how the default is set in XP. It would make sense that administrators would be listed but perhaps you ran a "lockdown" script that changed this for you. This setting would be the first place I would look.

There is a "Force Shutdown from a Remote System" privilege setting in Windows. Admins usually have this by default.

Now I'm not certain, but you're running XP/Home and since that has only a subset of LAN/Networking rights it may not allow remote shutdown thru normal means.

Here's a small function for VB that will shutdown a machine remotely (for LOType give it the numeral '5' for forced shutdown):

Public Function ShutDownEx(Server, User, Password, LOType)
    On Error Resume Next
    Dim Connection, WQL, SystemClass, System
    Dim Locator
    Dim RC
    Dim x
    LOType = CInt(LOType)

Set Locator = CreateObject("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")
    Set Connection = Locator.ConnectServer(Server, "root\cimv2", User, Password)

If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    x = MsgBox(Err.Number & " " & Err.Description, vbOKOnly, "Error")
    Err.Clear
    Exit Function
    End If

WQL = "Select Name From Win32_OperatingSystem"
    Set SystemClass = Connection.ExecQuery(WQL)

For Each System In SystemClass
    RC = System.Win32ShutDown(LOType)
    Next

If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    x = MsgBox(Err.Number & " " & Err.Description, vbOKOnly, "Error")
    Else
    x = MsgBox("DONE!", vbOKOnly, "Success")
    End If

End Function

cool, im trying the vb code now. just curious, does anybody know the reason that it wont work without simple filesharing disabled? whats the difference between simple and the old way?