Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remote Shutdown Access Denied?

Elite Hacker
    I believe the way simple file sharing works, is that you can only use the guest account to connect with it on. That means no user shares. I had the same problem with accessing the C$, I couldn't do it without simple file sharing disabled. I guess when you turn it off, it just allows you to use specific users instead of guest to connect, that's my theory at least.

edit
    i knew i should have spent that extra $50 on xp professional...
    I don't know about that. There are a few more features, luckily I bought mine from my school for 10 bucks. Universities seem to have all sorts of discounts on software. Are you going to school anywhere, cause you should check them out.

i knew i should have spent that extra $50 on xp professional...

Phonedog, you have to realize that XP home and professional are very different in their networking models. I don't even use a home edition and I think most of us are running into a lack of knowlege on it's part.

im still in high school

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I thought that the biggest difference between the home and pro was the home was 'stand alone' and the pro could network as server ?
    also isn't the guest account disabled by default?
    it is in W2K Pro, possibly the reason that remote shutdown not working as standard is that it is not set to ?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Just Another Geek
    You can only use the Home version in a Workgroup. The Pro version let's you join a domain.
    That's the biggest difference.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

True about the lack of domain support, there is also a limitation to the amount of peer to peer networking you can do. I think the limit is 5 licenses. The major difference for me when insalling it at home was the lack of security. They seriously scaled the security components down and limited access to some of the commands. For instance I don't think there is access to administrative tools and remote desktop and I am 95 percent sure, the remote shutdown commande is a subset of remote desktop being enabled. Additional NTFS capabilities are also missing.

I was trying to think of a work around based on what I know about XP but if a set of commands are missing then you have to rely on 3rd party apps like others have stated. What happens when you try it from the local machine?