Windows 2000 server: Stopping Users from Opening Applications
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Windows 2000 server: Stopping Users from Opening Applications

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    30

    Windows 2000 server: Stopping Users from Opening Applications

    Hello,

    I have a Windows 2000 Server, and approx 35 PCs, which are all on the Domain and all users log on to the Windows 2000 Server. 70% of the Computers are Windows XP Pro and by July all will be Windows XP PRO, and the other 30% is Windows 98.

    1. Anyway, my question is this, I am trying to stop users from executing exe's and programs that I do not went them to be able to execute. And I also would like my users to NOT be able to download files from the web, or allow ACTIVE X components.

    2. I want it so that only ADMINISTRATORS are able to load any kind of software on to the machine.


    Now all of the computers have to log on the Windows 2000 Server to gain access to the computer that they are moving so I would like to do this from the server. I want to be able to do this from the Group Policies that the Windows XP get from the Windows 2000 Server when they log on.

    Can anyone send me any information on doing this, a website, a guide, or anything on possibly doing this or anything similar to this.

    Thanks.
    Any help or suggestions are welcome.

    Andrew

  2. #2
    Antionline Herpetologist
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,165
    ummmm.... enable Active Directory?
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    30
    Then what do I do?



    Thanks.
    Andrew

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    30
    I beleive it is already started.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10

    group policy

    create group policy's to restrict users from having local admin rights.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    124
    go to google and search for "Active Directory" or GPO.... to narow hits add something like tutorial/howto in search string

    you will have to read a lot in other to pull this one... Active Directory has a lot of options and things you can set. it is easy to forget what is where...

    first write down all you have to do, and then follow it exactly step by step...
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •