Thread: Wireless Network Security - Scanners

Wireless Network Security - Scanners

Hello all,

Been a while since last post but I will get right to it.

I bought a radar detector yesterday and it got me thinking. Could someone use a radar detector for malicious purposes looking for a WIFI network.

When I was reading the manual it was showing all the frequencys for X,K and KA band and I was guessing that if you know what you are doing you could probably take it apart and ajust the frequency it looks for pretty easily.

I dont know if War Driving is illegal but im sure if this method does exist that would be illegal as I think its against FCC to change any of those things

It's probably not practical because you can do the same w/ a laptop and wireless card but It just made me think.

I do not condone War Driving or anything else maliciouse nor do I do it. hell while were talking about nor do I own a laptop (but anyways)

What do you guess think?
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

If you're a good electrician you could probably do it without too much of a problem, but it'd be far more practical to use a laptop with a car adapter. That way you can atleast gain some details about the networks, how many, different access points. Not just "Network detected." With the laptop, you'd get so much more information.

An extremely good electrician could probably also find a way to hook it up to their laptop...but there's no real point in that, is there?
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

yea. I guess I was just bored
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

Banned
    Euclid > If you're worried about the legalities of wardriving, I just wrote a tutorial on Wi-Fi and the (US) law. In short: wardriving is absolutely not illegal, since Wi-Fi signals are broadcasted over an unlicensed radio-band.

You can also use a handheld wifi detector to locate WAPs... though, you're not going to get much info... It'll just tell you that one is present.

Something like this. http://www.kensington.com/html/3720.html

Good for admins who want to look for rogue APs.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    You can also use a handheld wifi detector to locate WAPs...
    Something like this. http://www.kensington.com/html/3720.html
    That is a neat little toy, I want one.....and at approx $30, it is not out of my price range.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

There is only one problem with them. TechTV along with a few others found that they don't work very well. Half the time you can't tell if it really is detecting a network or not.
    I have 315 relays and 118 switches and have all the power of a calculator.