Thread: Beware: Fleet.com email

Beware: Fleet.com email

I got an email this morning that looked really professional from fleet.com telling me something about updating credit card information but I have no account or anything to do with fleet.

When I went over the link to the website ( which read www.cards.fleet.com..... it actually looked like it was going to fleet.com.

So I was figuring they were exploiting one of IE's numerous bugs but it wasnt really a bug, it was just a craftly put together link. What he/she had done was passed www.fleet.com as the user then used hexadecimal character in the remaining part to look like it was a normail link to fleet.com.

After decoding it completely

http://cards.fleet.comlcard_features...01/f/index.htm

I guess this is one of the reasons Microsoft decided to remove the functionality from IE for passing usernames and password in the url.

This is just a heads up. It appears fleet.com is already aware of this and that Asian Pacific IP you see in the decoded link is already down.
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger -- Friedrich Nietzche

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You might want to forward that to Anti-Phishing Working Group that keeps information about these kinds of activities.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage