Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Know security without hacking

Know security without hacking

Can somebody know computer security good without hacking practice?I think, how many of the peole here are hackers?

wront question. "can someone be a hacker without knowing security?" of course not.
    "i think, how many of the peole here know security?".
    thing

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    "can someone be a hacker without knowing security?" of course not.
    Depends on how you define hacker. I personally define it as someone who knows a particular system inside-out, whether that system is networking, being a good programmer or being an expert at hockey. That said, in a broader sense, yes someone could be a hacker and not know security. If I'm a game "hacker" and manipulate the game to create cheat codes and such, there's little security needed for that.

how many of the peole here are hackers?
    Once you define what a hacker is, you probably can answer this question. I personally don't consider myself a hacker but rather look at myself as someone who is very curious about things and likes to solve problems. I still have a lot of learning to do before I'd ever put myself into that category.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

No, you do not need to have been a hacker to know how to do computer security well, but you do need to know how hackers operate so you now one of the things you are protecting yourself against.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

I do use hacking practices for forensics and plain out curiousity. I love challenges and I'm curious about computers. I'm not a hacker, and I still have plenty to learn about cmputers.

of course, i also like to try exploits, see the code of some virus... but better than that i like to know how to make a system secure.
    thing

My answer, for what it is worth, is that most people here are not "hackers" in the modern sense of the word? but they do know how ...in the "proper" sense?

There are a lot of similar characteristics to being either a hacker or a security expert.........firstly you need to understand operating systems?

If you do not, you are a "skiddie", or a "director/EVP" ( this latter term is an anagram for ******* or wanker?)

Hah!............now I know why I am typing this in braille ......they do say that it sends you blind?

All I can do is quote the philosopher general Tsun Tsu (apologies for spelling):

"If I know nothing about myself, and nothing about my enemy, I shall surely lose.

If I know everything about myself, and nothing about my enemy, my chances of winning are even

If I know everything about myself, and everything about my enemy, I shall surely prevail"

Kinda makes sense?

From the same source:

"When the whole world is at peace, a wise man walks with his sword at his side"

So update your AV and firewall and other stuff!!!......direct order from a general?

Good luck!

Getting arrested for any kind of computer crime will not help on ones resume. Felons and security jobs do not go together. One might point to mitnick with his lectures and book but with his ability to social engineer he could have owned a string of security companies or anything else he wanted. Now he’s pretty much a failure.

Learning to hack in a laboratory environment is essential to learning security well.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

There's no point at looking for a definition of the word hacker.
    It used to mean "computer guru", now it means: "a person that breaks into other's computers", and there's no way of getting back it's original meaning, who cares anyway it's just a word.

Learning to hack in a laboratory environment is essential to learning security well.
    Very true, but keep in mind not everyone has such a "laboratory".
    (Like me) thus I like to do vulnerability assessment on my own. This may be illegal but I'm not harming anything so...
    It's like reverse engineering which is illegal too, but who cares, you do it anyway. As long as you keep your findings for yourself I don't think there's a real problem with it.

EDIT: I believe though that not too many members will agree on this...
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

if you can afford to gamble your future go ahead but i dont consider my network open for public edu. if you say you cannot get more machines for testing purposes with all the good machines being thrown away (older hubs too) or a copy of vmware which is given away free from time to time and always available on the net, then i say your lazy if your using "learning" as an excuse for hacking others machines or you dont have the ingineuity required to get what you want. i haven't paid a dime for anything computer related i own except maybe a game and some refill ink carteidges.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”