Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with ICS

Problems with ICS

Ok, I have one computer using windows XP home, and another using XP pro. I have them networked through a hub, and had the xp pro computer sharing the dial up connection on the xp home computer. Everything was working fine up unitl I tuned my laptop on today. Before this, my laptop had a IP of 192.168.0.190, and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, but when I started my laptop up today it had a IP of 169.254.160.254 or some crazy number like that. So I put it back to the first IP and assigned a Gateway of 192.168.0.1 which is my computer connected to the net.

Heres the strange part.
    My laptop shows my shares on teh other computer, it even shows my dial up connection as being shared, and running, but whenever I go to IE it says tha page cannot be displayed. However, MSN messenger pops a message up saying, "you have just connected to the internet", but for the life of me I cant' get IE to use the connection.

I am using Norton firewall, but have the 192.168.0.1-192.168.1.254 IP range as a trusted range. both computers can ping each other and both can access the shares.

this one has me stumped. Anyone have any ideas.
    =

Possibly a DNS problem? If it defaulted your IP settings, it may have also defaulted your DNS settings....

Its the strangest thing I've ever seen.

I've restarted this computer 3 times, and each time ran a network setup wizard to see if that solved it, but after I posted this, I restarted again, and ran the wizard one more time, and low and behold it worked this time. lol.

Didn't work before. Its like it just decided to work for me right now.

I think it really connected to the net before but was looking in the wrong place for the DNS like you said. Although, I do have it set to automatically find the DSN servers from my ISP.
    =

Seems strange but as phish suggested, it could be a DNS problem. I am not sure how exactly MSN works but it seems the most likely problem in this situation.

Although, I do have it set to automatically find the DSN servers from my ISP.
    If you are using ICS, I think it is better to set your ISP DNS addresses static.

I've seen that probem before with the automatic find... in a similar setup.

Setting them static worked for my buddy.

well I'll do that then phish. Thanks for the help.
    =

I've noticed an oddity with Microsoft networking. If you move a computer from one network to another.....the IP address does not always release/renew. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 reboots before it connects to the new network.

The first time it happened.....I went spare trying to troubleshoot the networking.....and suddenly it was working.

That exact same thing happened to me. Never sovled it. I think even the IP is the same.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

str34m3r
    That IP is the default IP that all windows boxes use when dhcp requests fail. I'd check your cables and the dhcp service on the xp pro box if it ever happens again.

This may be a little late to help you since the post is several months old....but, I just resolved the exact same issue on my network.
    I have a windows XP box as the ICS host and a windows ME as ICS Client. I've been trying to figure out why the ME box couldn't load pages for weeks now.

Finally, it's working. Here's what I did.

First:
    Although, I do have it set to automatically find the DSN servers from my ISP.
    make sure that all options are deselected, you don't want the box checked for automatic or static.

2nd: make sure drivers are current for ethernet cards etc. on all computers.

then, go here http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._ics/index.htm and follow their instructions for running the network setup wizard.

It was so easy in the end that I feel stupid for having so much trouble with it in the first place...lol.

Hope this helps somebody out.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.