Thread: Not totally a NEWBIE but.....

Not totally a NEWBIE but.....

Okay, here we go. Got the linksys router box. no, not the wireless or I would not be here but, I do have family in China, Utah, Vegas, Virginia and New Jersey. I do use my web cam for video chat with my cousins and all but when I turn on the firewall for the router, I can't do ANYTHING and not only that but, I don't like people looking over my shoulder so my two questions are.....
    1. how do i set up my firewall and not have it affect all my chat programs (trillian=aol, yahoo, messenger and ICQ)
    2. AGAIN, can someone suggest a way to hide my ip address? i have heard people saying they "hop onto an offshore server and do their browsing that way so that the 'ip address' is never a true ip address. Although, I hear this is only applicable as well as capable with a wireless router. please clarify.

Thanks in advance. You can get in touch with me using all the chat programs i use or e-mail or...post here and I will check back. Mahalo!
    no room for prudes and the uneducated. prudes are boring and the uneducated are only funny when you are drunk!

In your firewalls config somewhere (im not too familiar with linksys), it should have somewhere where it allows certain programs to connect to the internet without any troubles. It might be in a control center or something for the router, but then again im not familiar with linksys. For your 2nd question, i believe youre asking about proxies. Proxies redirect packets so when youre browsing it comes up as the proxies ip, but someone whos determined can get your real ip. Another good way to hide it is to disconnect your modem .

Hi,

You will consider me totally paranoid. Everyone else here does, so why should you be different?

I do have family in China, Utah, Vegas, Virginia and New Jersey
    If you piss about, you will NOT have family in China...........trust me on that one

Take very good care

Re: Not totally a NEWBIE but.....

With the Linksys are you able to connect to the internet at least or do you get nothing?

If you can connect to the net you should be able to change the config options in the router by plugging into it and typing in 192.168.1.1. The default username is blank and the password is "admin" (or maybe the other way around). the configuration options for the firewall should be in there. you may have to grant the server you are connecting to, incomming access.

If you are not getting any connection at all then what I have done is turn everything off including the modem. Then turn on the Linksys and let it run through it's tests. Then plug in the modem. After the Linksys gets the IP from the modem you should be able to ipconfig your box to get the new ip from it.

I don't think I have ever run across the linksys routers blocking a web cam and IM stuff. sometimes email gets blocked but that usually requires you to set the ip address of the mail server up in the router.

Hope this helps
    \"If you know your enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated. When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant of both of your enemy and of yourself, you are sure to be defeated in every battle.\"

-Sun Tzu

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    1. how do i set up my firewall and not have it affect all my chat programs (trillian=aol, yahoo, messenger and ICQ)
    In order for us to assist you with this and resolve this issue we need to know what type of firewall do you have? What Operating system are you currently running? Does the linksys router have a built in firewall? In order to properly configure your firewall you have to allow the applications (you want) to pass through the firewall.

Status-thank you very much. I will look into proxies and let you know how i progress.
    Nihil-I don't quite comprehend your post. "If you piss about, you will NOT have family in China...........trust me on that one". Are you implying that I have a p**is!? Dude, I am a woman!
    BioHazzard-yes I have connection to the internet but am unable to connect the webcam through the firewall and all the information on how to is so beyond me that I am totally clueless as to how to fix the problem. You can find my router information at the Linksys website.
    Computernerd22-the firewall is built into my router Linksys Model BEFSR41. It has 4 ports in the back. I am running XP. I tried seeing if there was a way to "check off" programs I would not like blocked but there is no way of getting such a "dialog" box to pop up. IMO....the box is good for one thing, connecting my other two computers to this one! Unless you tell me otherwise!
    no room for prudes and the uneducated. prudes are boring and the uneducated are only funny when you are drunk!

Some more info about how your using your webcam would be useful as well. Such as are you using it with your im clients or another application such as windows media encoder. From the sound of it, your router which i believe is also acting as your firewall is blocking the necesarry ports for your im clients to connect. Find out those ports, and then find out how to unblock them from your router/firewall. As far as proxies go, they are not that easy to find unless you want to pay for one which i doubt. Either way I cant see you using one or even needing one. If your that paranoid about privacy dont get online.
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

If the router is UPnP-aware, turn on the UPnP service in windows and in the router configuration to allow programs to automatically open ports in the router firewall. This should cure MSN and other IM problems, provided the IM program is UPnP-aware. MSN is, and a lot more probably are.