Thread: Search Feature at New Thread Title

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Search Feature at New Thread Title

I did a search to see if this has been suggested before but didn't find it. I was at linuxquestions.org recently and was looking for some advice on a kernel build. I was about to post a new thread in one of the forums and noticed that beside the New Thread Title/Subject box was a button called "Has this been asked before?" along with suggestions as to what are good titles and bad titles.

I realize this is a fair amount of re-coding and such but perhaps something to consider for future? I've included a screenshot in case I'm not clear.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

That would be a nice feature.

This feature would just open a window with a search for the terms entered as the title for the new thread? That could be done w/a few lines of javascript, wouldn't be too difficult.

- h
    I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.

Seems to be. At least that's what I found. It's kinda neat and it might encourage users to search first for their answers before posting the same question. (more power to users!)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Banned
    Yeah i like the idea. It'll help everybody.

It has my vote on doing it and I like the idea that it will keep the board a bit cleaner and faster

w00t w00t.. great suggestion.. JP took the code for that similar thread feature from somewhere.. maybe at VBull..(as I've seen it elsewhere) and I think did some modification, but it never worked right. As I was going to suggest that instead of a java script.. one could do a preview and have the similar threads be displayed below.. but as it seems to miss things, a java script might be better..

I added the link beside the subject field in the new thread form -- "Has my topic been posted before?". Suggestions for the text of that are welcome. I'm not sure that makes it clear what the link is for.

The search will open in a new window, so that you won't lose your post if you've typed it up before you hit the link.

- h
    I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.

Very nifty. Let's see how it goes over the next month or so (if we're seeing fewer repeat posts or not). If we are, we can leave it. If we aren't then we can revisit and see what we might need to add or reword.

yay mnstrgrl!

Good work mnstrgrl

now we only to get the folks to use it.. how about a private message in everyone's inbox suggesting that they try using it.. and report back with problems or suggestions. ?