Thread: Knoppix or Knoppix-STD?

Knoppix or Knoppix-STD?

I liked the sound of distros that booted from CD so I searched around and Knoppix sounded like the most popular one. But I saw there was also a version called Knoppix-STD which was a smaller download (I have a cable modem ). I'm pretty much a complete newb to Linux/Unix so I was wondering how different the two versions are from each other. Is STD geared toward more experienced users? Or is it the exact same thing, just with lots of security tools?

I'm new here (this is my 2nd post) and I look forward to learning lots of new stuff. AO seems to be a really great community so far . Later,

mjk

Basically Knoppix is a bootable linux distro that would work fine as a nice desktop. Knoppix-STD is a hacked version of Knoppix that is chuck full of network testing/analyzing/hacking tools. There isn't that much in STD that isn't in Knoppix, the author just more or less cleared out the regular menu and put everything right there, however the menu is ogranized like ****. I would go with the regular Knoppix, you just can't beat it and it has most all of the tools you would need anyways.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

If you are looking to learn linux itself, then go with Knoppix, however if you are looking to play with security and learn more about it then I would highly recommend going with Knoppix-STD. It'll be more suited to what you are looking to do, better organized and that way you want have a bunch of useless crap that you don't need. However I'd also suggest you check out phlak. It's very handy, I keep a copy in my backpack at all times.

If you are looking to learn linux itself, then go with Knoppix, however if you are looking to play with security and learn more about it then I would highly recommend going with Knoppix-STD.
    Well, I definitely want to learn more about security; that's why I'm here. All three look good but I think I will go for STD. If I absolutely hate that then I'll probably go for Phlak. Thanks for the quick replies Lansing_Banda and HTRegz

Later,

mjk