Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote Shutdown Access Denied?

Remote Shutdown Access Denied?

I tried to do a "shutdown -f -s -m //timcomp" on one of my network computers from my computer and it came back with "access denied". anybody know how to set up a windows xp computer so that it can be shut down remotely and have messages sent to it with net send, etc.

This is a nice app for that and a lot more

http://www.beyondlogic.org/consultin...BeyondExec.htm

Have fun!
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Elite Hacker
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...shutdown.shtml

I'm going to recommend that before Tedob1, I know if he sees this he will recommend the same thing. It allows you to specify a username and password for the shutdown command. The problem is that you are trying to shutdown the computer with what I guess is the guest account, and I believe it also tries the username and password you're logged on with, but maybe not. But this tool should do the trick for you, letting you specify a username and password with the priviledges to shutdown the computer.

it still doesnt work, i tried it with psshutdown and it said something to the effect of not enought priveleges. I dont know why, none of these computers have passwords on them, so i've only been entering a username. thanx alot for the programs tho.

Elite Hacker
    Originally posted here by Phonedog911
    it still doesnt work, i tried it with psshutdown and it said something to the effect of not enought priveleges. I dont know why, none of these computers have passwords on them, so i've only been entering a username. thanx alot for the programs tho.
    I remember having the same problem, and it went away when I disabled simple file sharing to just have the old file sharing. I also couldn't access the c$ shares before I did this. If you really want to remotely shutdown the computer I guess you should disable it. I'll test it in just a second, I just got a fresh install of XP pro. Is this XP pro or home, cause home only has simple file sharing. Anyways, I'll test it, and if what I said is the case, I'll edit this to say what I did.

edit
    Ok here's what I did, I was using the main account on my computer, the one that is created when you install(it's an admin account).
    1. Tried with simple file sharing on and no password with my username and failed with psshutdown
    2. Set a password then tried a again with the password, still failed.
    3. Turned off simple file sharing, took off password and tried with no password, still failed.
    4. Left simple file sharing off and set a password, worked fine specifying an admin username and password with psshutdown.
    Here's how you turn off simple file sharing, just open up my computer, and go to view>folder options...
    under folder options click the view tab, and at the very bottom there is a checkbox to allow simple file sharing, but this is only in XP pro, uncheck that box, and click apply. You should now be able to shutdown that computer. I could be wrong, but that's how it worked for me. Good luck.

The problem is that you are trying to shutdown the computer with what I guess is the guest account, and I believe it also tries the username and password you're logged on with
    In other words:
    If you are trying any of this from a Guest or a Limited user account you will fail.
    vis:
    and it said something to the effect of not enought priveleges.
    your account is not a member of the administrators group OR You are on an os that is not of the NT FAmily (I think this returns a different error)

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

actually, i am on an administrator account all... we dont really have a need to have limited users priveleges for any accounts because its a home network. and all of the comps are running windows XP home edition, so they are all NT systems. I'll try disabling simple file sharing, but if i cant what do i do? get up and walk down the stairs to shut down my computer? That is completely out of the question

curses! foiled again [h3r3tic]

you might find it really usefull to install RealVNC on them all. then you can copy the vnc viewer to %system%, rename it vnc.exe and just open a run box and enter 'vnc machinename' and have complete access to the desktop and the entire system on all the remotes. shut it down, logon as a different user run programs whatever. really beats the hell out of stairs.

your boxen might be set up not to allow remote shutdown. enter gpedit.msc in the run box and check it out (windows settings>>security settings >>local policys >> security options)....can you get a shell using psexec? (psexec \\mach_name -s cmd) if you can and dont want to be bothered with any of this then with shutdown.exe in the path go 'psexex \\remote_mach -c shutdown.exe /c' (or whatever flags the ver your using requires) then the shutdown comand will be seen as local by the remote.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

i tried psexec and it says unknown username or bad password, sometimes it says something about admin$ but i forgot what the exact error message is. ill try putting a password on the comp, maybe thats what the problem is

install realvnc its free.

http://www.realvnc.com/
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”