Thread: Norton AntiVirus? System performance?

Norton AntiVirus? System performance?

I recently purchased Norton AntiVirus for my new laptop. However, shrotly after purchasing, I read an article from CNET saying that it slowed down system performance by 4%. I am by no stretch of the imagination knowledgable about antivirus software, so I'm asking anyone who's willing to give an opinion--

Is it worth installing Norton AntiVirus?
    Is Norton AntiVirus a very good AntiVirus program, or should I consider buying something else?

Any application that runs in the background will slow your system down. If you think about it 4% is really nothing compared to having to reformat your computer and starting everything from scratch.

Answer : Yes , how else will you be able to detect/quarantine/remove any known viruse[s] that may manage to sneek into your system ? But never assume that an attachment is safe just because you know the person or because your av program didn't raise an any flags. Always make sure that when you download anything from the Internet that the souce is legit.

Is Norton AntiVirus a very good AntiVirus program, or should I consider buying something else?
    Answer : Yes, Norton Antivirus in my personal opinion is a good antivirus program. So far it has not let me down, but if you feel that it is not doing the job for you then try another av program.

Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

In todays world where ur laptop would have a minimum of 128 MB RAM.. you will never even realise the load of Antivirus...

Yeah the systems may just slow down a bit when you run extensive / thorough scan....

IS it worth installing Norton ... Personally well that depends on your preferences and convinience... I am personally using Norton Antivirus for last 3 years.. so far I have not found any major problems with its virus detection....

You shall need some seperate program for Adware and Spyware and Trojan cleaner..... But there are very good tools for all of the above which are fortunately free......

I guess also download one of the available free personal firewall (zonealarm)...

I guess a combination of above tools could give you a fair amount of assurance against Virus, Trojans and malicious code....
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

Re: Norton AntiVirus? System performance?

Originally posted here by Nielsosky13
    I recently purchased Norton AntiVirus for my new laptop. However, shrotly after purchasing, I read an article from CNET saying that it slowed down system performance by 4%. I am by no stretch of the imagination knowledgable about antivirus software, so I'm asking anyone who's willing to give an opinion--

All background AV will consume resource.

It depends on how much you want that 4% - Are you regularily using 100% of the CPU - Running power hungry games?

You could consider switching it off for those times when you need the 4%

And if you apply common sense to sharing files with others and you only click on email attachments when you have requested the file from someone, you may not need and AV

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

i run my comp with Norton also. It was slowed down, but not enough to notice it unless you check your computers performance all the time. Norton is the way to go if you want cheap, yet reliable antivirus software.

Regal Making Handler
    A 4% system performance trade off against the possible damage to your system of virus infection is well worth it. I have used Nav for about three years now and (touch wood) have not been infected as so many of my friends have.

As previously mentioned get yourself a personal firewall and some anti spyware software also. Run them often and on a regulare basis, you will be amazed at the amount of crap you will pickup during normal surfing.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Thanks for the advice guys!

You've definitely helped me make up my mind to install Norton AV. In fact, I think that's what I'll do right now...

simply put:

Virus? System performance?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”