Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing nmap with MS-DOS?

Installing nmap with MS-DOS?

Hi there, i'm trying to install nmap for windows OS from the insecure.org website and have read the instructions on how to do it but i can't, can anyone give me a step by step guide please? (i'm sure there's only three of four steps)

I've dowloaded nmap and also winpcap (i've installed that) but i've got to go into MSDOS and i get lost at the part where the insecure.org site starts talking about changing and creating directories because i don't know how to use MS-DOS.

I'm just confused because the instructions seem easy enough but when it says create the directory for nmap i wonder why, because surely it's already in one isn't it?

I have some of the tools and have read quite a few things now, just need a little more knowledge of windows and DOS and my newbie phase should be over........
    \"What is is not, what is not is - - if this is not yet clear to you, you\'re still far from the truth.\"

Re: Installing nmap with MS-DOS?

Originally posted here by Eonfire

I've dowloaded nmap and also winpcap (i've installed that) but i've got to go into MSDOS and i get lost at the part where the insecure.org site starts talking about changing and creating directories because i don't know how to use MS-DOS.
    would you plz quote what the insecure site is talking about ?
    Industry Kills Music.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    This is quite simple to do.

1) Download the command line version of NMAP from insecure
    2) Using Windows Explorer, simply create a directory such as C:\NMAP
    3) Using WinZip or a compression app of your choice, extract the contents of the archive into the C:\NMAP directory
    4) Open a command prompt by going to start then run and type command or cmd, depending upon which Windoze OS you have.
    5) At the command prompt, type cd \nmap

You are now in the nmap directory, you may have to path down another directory or two then run nmap.exe. I'm not sure how much additional help you need but this should get you started.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Now that was the best instructions on how to install nmap..
    I had a few difficulty's installing nmap not that long ago. Although i did it another way.
    But those instructions were brilliant.
    Thanks thehorse..

cheers
    ..::front2back::..

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Yes this is very easy to do for both Windows OS and Linux. If your trying to get nmap to work you have to download WinPcap

Nmap requires the free WinPcap packet capture library. Obtain and install the latest version from http://winpcap.polito.it. They distribute an executable installer which makes this easy.
    WinPcap: the Free Packet Capture Architecture for Windows
    winpcap

Also I believe that winpcap requires windows in order to work, so if this is a pure dos (no windows at all) implementation you prob wont be able to get nmap working.

I doubt though, that you are doing a true dos implementation, but you never know.

My suggestion would be to extract the whole archive into the C:\WINDOWS\System32 directory, that way you can run it at anytime from any where within the command line simply by typing in 'nmap'
    -HDD

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Or better yet, add the path as an environment variable and you wont have to put it in the Windows directory at all.

Right click my computer, select properties, advanced then environment variable. Add the path to NMAP.exe, PRESTO! Done.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Well I never !!
    I've been reading here for a while, about this 'nmap' thingy. Google gave me the details, suffice to say that I NOW have it, thanx to th13, and if I can do it, then you should all be able to. I appear to have one advantage over eonfire, and that is I have been using DOS for quite a while, and maybe oneday I will even be considered 'quite good' at it.
    Enough of this drivel ?? I've got a new toy !!!
    bye 4 now, and thanx again.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

hmm, i'm a bit more lost than i thought i was. I've downloaded nmap and also winpcap, made a directory called C:\nmap then i put the nmap files and the winpcap files into the directory c:\nmap but it won't work when i go to run and type in :c:\nmap.exe

I'm guessing this is because i don't know how to make a path? I went to md-dos and typed in : path c:\nmap but i still can't get it to run.

(i'm looking for a solution on the net now)

Also when i run ms-dos it goes to a full screen version, what do i type in to get it to go to the smaller screen version?
    \"What is is not, what is not is - - if this is not yet clear to you, you\'re still far from the truth.\"