Thread: basic virus info

basic virus info

I was just wondering if somebody knew of any websites that could thoroughlty cover writing virus's, how they work/spread, and how to prevent htem. This informartion woul dhelp me greatly understand virus's and hwo they can attack specific parts of the computer or network.

Here...try this one...it has tons of info on preventing and understanding viruses

http://www.antionline.com

HINT:What the hell, I'm feeling magnanimous today. Iif you type "virus" in the search window, you will get 3403 threads..you may have to refine the search a little bit.

I would start by looking at the following companies' sites:

1. McAfee (NAI)
    2. Norton (Symantec)
    3. Panda
    4. PC Cillin

There are general tutorials there, and analyses of actual viruses, how they work and so on?

Come back in a week or two when you have absorbed that, and I can point you to some more "technical" sites.

Cheers

thank you very much for these incredibly unhelpful and obvios pieces of information

http://www.davidsonlinegallery.com/n...ruses/main.htm

That site has source codes to viruses.

I'm glad you liked them.

Here's something equally helpful: http://www.google.com/

After that try: http://buyaclue.com/

You come to a security site and ask where you can find information about virii. What do you think is dealt with here? There are tutorials about virii, virii removal, trojans, trojan removal, rootkits, worms, spyware, adaware, malware, and how to get rid of all of them. Most of those 3000+ threads I linked for you contain additional links to sites that would have answered your questions.

I'm not sure how you find nihil's suggestion not helpful. If you can't learn about malware from the companies that make a living fighting them, then I'm not sure what to say.

When you ask broad questions, you get broad answers. When the answers start getting stupid, then it's time to reconsider your questions.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    if this information is so "obvious" then why are you online here, the answers that you received were both accurate and helpful ? albeit a little 'sarky' if this is unhelpful, then you are obviously a postgrad PHD who's just slumming it here for a laff ?
    in the words that have been said time and time again, "check out the archives BEFORE posting !!"
    In your mood it say's "it's a whole NEW world out there" that it is, take the advice given, read till you bleed.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

thank you very much for these incredibly unhelpful and obvios pieces of information
    Thats not cool. You asked a question and people gave you answers. They very well could have told you to go to google. In fact, if you searched the websites they gave you, you would probably find some helpful information. Your response was downright rude. People on AO have been very patient with you and your countless threads about the differences between unix and linux. Now it's your turn to be patient. If you didn't get what you were looking for the first couple of responses, wait. you'll find one that will help.

slick

[edit] damn, foxy, you type fast. beat me to it.... [/edit]
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Stickman,

They politely answered your questions and provided some of the best sites on the web. Despite your obviously lack of effort in searching for yourself. What do you want those folks to do for you, click your mouse for you as well?