Thread: Probs with NAV 2004

Probs with NAV 2004

Ok guy's

having a thread about concern of NAV and system slow down..(?)

Here is a couple of issues I have had/am having with customers machines and NAV 2004. As yet these are unresolved from Symantecs Non Support ppl..

Win 98: Refuses to install
    Win98/me/XPhe: Product activation won't run.. product expires after 15days
    Win 98: console fails to start: as a result the Activation warnings don't run.. each expired befor I could find out if it could be started any other way.
    ALL: **** it hates its former selves. but then I never had a AV that liked any previous version still in play
    Symantec: Non-Support for individual (one off) Customers..

Anyone else encountering these problems: it seems to be hardware based as many systems work well and or work well after a clean install.. The ones I have got to this point I have disassembled to the point of HDD, mobo, video, cd-rom.. no network or modem cards, bare jane systems..

(please note I mention the problems as a referance.. not for problem solving)

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AO French Antique News Whore
    Check this thread, might apply to you for system slow down

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=253211

I remember this one problem was acknoledge by Symantec but I never saw a fix. (Their is probably one now if you search)
    -Simon \"SDK\"

My Post was after the frustration of working through the Symantec Non-Suport site, attempting to get a intelligent answer out of several non-english speaking support personel.

Ok I admitt that the last item on my list has a cure(?) uninstall and apply the removal tool.. Well why the blazes cant the installer be intelligent enough to do that itself?

Win 98: Refuses to install
    Win 98: console fails to start: as a result the Activation warnings don't run.. each expired befor I could find out if it could be started any other way.
    how do you think a customer would feel if you tell them that to get the AV to install and work, that you have to reinstall the operating system? thats as bad as repairing the damage from some virii.. not to mention the extra time.

This sort of issue once in a while you can tollerate.. but 1 in 5 systems is a ****ing disgrace

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I have yet to be able to apply Norton Anti-Virus 2004 patch to my XP Box since I got SP1 install! I feel your pain brother!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

When I upgraded to XP Pro last year, I went to ebay and found a shrink-wrapped copy of NAV 2003. That was my solution to the myriad of problems caused by NAV 2004. Avoid rather than confront.

did I mention I love to play golf.. favorite club is my 15lb iron long handle hammer.. yes I line up old VCR's and PC Cases at the Refuse tip.. and try to sink a few into the hole.. great game.. today 3 of the items had a NAV2004 box taped to the side (hammer impact side)..

problems no closer to being solved.. but I feel better.. and have some rubbish out of my shed..

BTW: I was still able to get copies of the OEM-2003 until 3 week ago.. I can see a clean install comming up in one of my machines.. and no NAV on it after the registration expires.. hmm I was thinking of a linux server/gateway project.. (mail server /firewall/mail filter/mail av scanner).. hmm pentium 200? may sell that idea to these customers.. not a cure, and not perfect.. but good education for me..

cheers

and i must refrain from the F word in a forumabout the right reverand N. AV

Hint : Don't install Sp1 and Norton 2004! They don't mix at all!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Had a massive problem with NAV a few years ago.. NAV-2000 and AOpen Motherboards.. it was a case of BSOD, BSOD, BSOD.. swaped to CA (Vet) at that time.. (I hate being tied to a retail chains buy list)..

BAck to my original POST.. Are others encountering these specific problems or am I Robinson Curoso?

cheers

cheers

edit: sry SDK
    Hint : Don't install Sp1 and Norton 2004! They don't mix at all!
    most of my probs are Win98.. but will keep that in mind with XP probs.. thanks for that hint

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    NAV 2004 has been giving me problems since I bought it, I am no longer in the position to replace it, (no job) It goes like this: O/S = W2K Pro sp4 + all patches, in start up tray the icon for netsec flashes on and off ? and after a couple of minutes the icon is gone. (I saw this once from start to vanish) desktop icon still there, click to see, security is set at of ? can't start it as it says I have insufficient privileges. Sometimes log off admin and relog on ,still as admin, clears the fault, although the start up tray icon is gone till the next re-start, but two times now the system has just 'lost' it, and there is no way back, at these time I also lose the AV 2004, same as above, the two times I've mentioned, the system has also failed, I assume now that this was the beginning for me of either a virus or an actual attack ?? both times the O/S has become 'dazed and confused' and it has taken a clean install !! to correct. I am now runnig everything at high sec settings, and accept the constant hit alerts from the F/W, if it's asking, then it's still there ? Sorry for the ramble, but it seems that you are not alone, funnily enough I never had this problem with NAV 2002, the "upgrade" to 04 seems to have been a costly error so far.

edit : am checking on Symantec's site on a regular basis, no joy so far. However, if I carry on much longer I'm getting an invite to the staff Xmas party end edit :
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hmm.. I never had a problem with Norton and Windows 98 but that was before Windows XP was release. Remember when their was 2 versions of Norton Anti-Virus 2001 (Or 2002) in the store ; one for Windows 98 and one for XP?

Quick question : Do you have Xp Home or Pro? I just remind that I have another comp with Norton Anti-Virus 2004 on it working fine but wait, forget it, I sacrifice SP1 for a working Norton Anti-Virus 2004!

Symantec took 2 years for Norton Anti-Virus to work with XP and it's taking another 2 years for them to work with SP1 and I'll take them another 2 years to have it work with Sp2!
    -Simon \"SDK\"