dcsimg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer boots only till PCI device listing screen..

Originally posted here by SDK
    Good One! I don't have elctronics recyler. well, it's call a crusher! 55 lbs of pression on a motherboard is nice!
    Well its an actual business that does the recycling. We just take it to them and they dispose of it properly / recycle the electronics. The "crusher" sounds like fun. My dad has a hydrolic press that will put a couple thousand pounds of pressure on something and we used it to smash a couple of power supplies..
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

you trashed it ?

I was going to suggest one more thing.. some mobos.. and even many other consumer products may have bad low esr capacitors on them.. they will work for two years or so, then leak or blow.. mostly these caps are used in the vregulator area and usually one low esr cap near the APG slot.

the history of these bad caps can traced back to a stolen formula that the thieves screwed up.

if you're interested, this place has a lot of info about the bad caps as well as offer cap kits and will even replace the bad caps for you if your soldering skills aren't that good. (or if you're too paranoid to try..lol)

www.badcaps.net

it might be worth looking at that mobo again..

I take it that reflashing it didn't help ?

AO French Antique News Whore
    I smash hard drive and tape backup! You have no idea how old those tape backup are long!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Originally posted here by sumdumguy
    you trashed it ?

I was going to suggest one more thing.. some mobos.. and even many other consumer products may have bad low esr capacitors on them.. they will work for two years or so, then leak or blow.. mostly these caps are used in the vregulator area and usually one low esr cap near the APG slot.

the history of these bad caps can traced back to a stolen formula that the thieves screwed up.

if you're interested, this place has a lot of info about the bad caps as well as offer cap kits and will even replace the bad caps for you if your soldering skills aren't that good. (or if you're too paranoid to try..lol)

www.badcaps.net

it might be worth looking at that mobo again..

I take it that reflashing it didn't help ?
    Havent smashed it yet. I will check out the link...
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Just to give a little resolution to this thread:

Finally got back to this project and it turned out that it was the caps as sumdumguy suggested.

Thanks for all your help!

I was right ? OMG

no seriously, there are a lot of these bad caps in all sorts of electronics these days.
    I think there's a class action suit against sony for which revolves around bad caps in some high end gear..