Thread: I need my router info. Help!

Question I need my router info. Help!

Please explain to me what this guy is talking about and how do I get the info?

Here is what he emailed me.

Also, could you send me a screenshot of some information in your router. Press the print screen button to snap the screenshot to the clipboard. Go to any program that will allow you to paste an image into it. I would like to know it’s WAN Settings (public IP) ( would also like to know what Cox Cable says your IP is. I would like to see any settings on DHCP. Just basically any pertinent information regarding public or private network addresses.

Screen shot of what...?

Thanks.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Most routers have a web interface. I believe he's referring to that. What kind of router do you have? (make and model)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    He wants to know your router-configuration...
    First things first: do you have a router:
    If yes, what he's looking for is the router-configuration, meaning you'll have to connect to it.
    Try typing http://192.168.1.1 in your browser. It might ask you for a login/password. In that case, consult your manual or look online for the default login for your router.

Originally posted here by Negative
    He wants to know your router-configuration...
    First things first: do you have a router:
    If yes, what he's looking for is the router-configuration, meaning you'll have to connect to it.
    Try typing http://192.168.1.1 in your browser. It might ask you for a login/password. In that case, consult your manual or look online for the default login for your router.
    For Dlink routers it is 192.168.0.1.....So as Neg said consult your manual. Also, why does the guy need your router info and internet IP address?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

It is a D-Link DI-604 4-Port Broadband Router. Would the actual server's IP be the same as the router's IP? I wouldn't think so, so how do I find out? I have tried http://192.168.1.1 suggested by Negative. I have also tried 192.168.0.1 which CXGJarrod posted. Where are you getting these IPs from? I did a netscan from xxx.xxx.xx.1 through xxx.xxx.xx.254. I have the print out. Would one of these responding IPs be the router?

Also, why does the guy need your router info and internet IP address?
    That is what I was wondering. Some guy just called and said "Hey! This is Smith with the IT dept. 3rd floor. I need some info from you."

We only have 2 floors, but... Oh well. JK! He is helping us set up a VPN. I have never done this before and I am doing my best to learn.

Dislex, do you have a different IP range (something other than 192.168.0.x)? Apparently for this router, the default is 192.168.0.1 but it could be possible that someone has changed the info. What's your default gateway address?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

I finally got the information I needed. I just went to TCP/IP properties and then to the Gateway tab. I then tried the Gateway in a browser and bingo! the User I tried Admin. The pass, User. It freaking worked. How safe is that! Pfft. I am going to set up a name a pass. While just browsing around I found "Remote Management". It was disabled. Under it there is an option to set a port. This sounds fun! Can anyone explain it to me? What can be done and accessed through that?

Thank you all for your help! You people are the best!

http://support.dlink.com/ <--- go here for how to configure your router. It has a manual you can download. The user/pass is the default that the User (*hint hint*) is supposed to change when they set it up..