I've been having problems with my box for the longest time. I haven't been able to make a permanent fix for my problem. Here are my specs:

Soyo Dragon SYP4I865PE Plus Motherboard
P4 2.4 Ghz
512 mb ram
80 Western Digital HDD, + 60 GB hitacthi later on.
Nvidia geForce FX 5600 256 mb
XP Pro service pack 1

The first time I booted it up, it would light up, then shutdown for a couple of seconds, then start up normally. This happens everytime the CMOS is reset. Thats not really the problem, but maybe a symptom. Here are the real problems.

About a month later, I would boot up and get a message that says, "Windows has detected a registry file that has been replaced by an unrecognized one. That file has been replaced. The replacement was successful" or something like that. Afterwards, it would give me a windows file protection error. Then programs wouldn't run or give me crazy sounding errors, nothing in particular, different errors every time. So I decided to repair the installation. Then some crazy stuff happened.

During the repair, it told me that my windows xp cd was invalid or corrupt. So after asking around, I was told that it wouldnt hurt to reset the CMOS on the Motherboard. So I did. Still no luck. I installed a new hard drive, and tried to install windows on it. It said my CD was bad. and wouldn't install without me holding down the enter key to select retry for every file that needed to be installed. So heres the weirdest part. For some reason, after the failed installation, I reset the CMOS after i took out the new hard drive, so I reset it while it had no HDD. I plug in the old HDD, and the windows install goes without a hitch.

About a month later, I started getting the registry, file protection errors that i mentioned in the second paragraph. I eventually decided to install again, but I had to go through the same process. It only worked when I removed the hard drives, and reset the CMOS.

So, this whole process has happened twice more, (a total of 4 times) in the past 1/2 year. Windows registry, file protection errors, a good amount of time in between eachother. Just recently, it happened a fifth and sixth time. This is where I can use the most detective help from the community, because it might be able to pinpoint something I'm not smart enough to pick up on.

I downloaded a bootable knoppix cd, and messed around with it on my computer. I used it for a couple days, booting up with and without it, using both operating systems. The thing is, that the registry, file protection errors came on very quickly and persistently after I used knoppix. I couldnt log in, had to install again, same crazy way as last time with pulling the HDD and reseting the CMOS to get it to install with no errors.

VERY recently, a girls pc was getting a windows/system not found error on boot, so I told her i could take out her HDD, plug it into my box, and burn a cd for her with her stuff. During this time, i have a second HDD installed, i use it for docs NTFS. I pull out the doc drive, plug in hers. I boot up, and i get the same error she did (windows/system not found). So I take it out, and put my doc drive back in, no changed jumper settings throught. I have to go through the same crazy install process again, because i keep getting her error.

Now, I have no clue if its a hardware problem because of the way i have to install, or if i truely have a bad cd, or whatever. But yesterday, i got a crazy screen on boot up, with all kinds of crazy colors and letters changing positions. I dont really know what its called or how to describe it, so i cant google for it. I took a pic of it, and its attached. Maybe someone recognizes it, and can tell me what it is. I hope its related to my problem. Thanks for reading, help out if you like.