Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sharpei-writer arrested

Did she only publish the source code or the executable?

Because here is where I'm confussed (sorry for being stupid) but if she was to publish an executable on her website then wouldn't that be classified as releasing them as they are out for grabs to the public and just waiting to be set free. So therefore wouldn't her only case be if she had only published the source code for the virus under a strick "for educational purposes only" rule.
    -HDD

I would say that VictorKaum is spot on

I think the problems she faces are overdone. The Belgian CCU better concentrates on others who do release their stuff. Bleh, probably they wanted some media attention cause Gigabyte is, female and popular like she is, a big 'media' fish. ??? Or is this a bridge to far?
    HDD : I would say that the AV companies are more interested in the executable than the source, as it is the executable they have to detect?

"educational purposes only".............sounds like a US Constitution First Amendment workaround to me?...This is Belgium.

What is the difference between me giving you a loaded FN Browning 1935 model, and an FN Browning with a box of 9mm Parabellum?............even if they are for educational purposes I do not think that source code and object code are an issue............it is "malicious intent" that has to be proven?............and that is very difficult.

My call is that this is a bit of sabre rattling on the part of the authorities "pour encourager les autres" so to speak?

Unless they have specific evidence that we are not aware of, I think that she will face nothing worse than a "caution", if even that?

Cheers

hey peeps.

can we see the face of that girl online? i tried googling, i can only see her blurred face.

I don't think that she is that stupid that she'll post a non-blurred picture of herself. That would be like winning the Lotto for the police. All they would have to do is print it out and then find her.
    (And before you correct me, yes I know there are other methods that you can use in order to track her down just as easily if not even easier)
    -HDD

site seeing

for people interrested in her homepage..
    it was taken down, but here it is, thx to google cache..

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache....net/gigabyte/

and the "way back machine"

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://coderz.net/gigabyte

and her guestbook is still online too

http://www.htmlgear.tripod.com/guest...&a=view&i=1001

it's allways nice if people can decide for them selves and make informed comments..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

hmmm, interesting comments on in her guest book. Some people should be banned from using the internet!
    -HDD

so front2back, you also think lockheed-martin, smith&wesson etc.. should be locked up for making products where the only intent is to destroy ???
    There has to be a distinction made between creation and utilization. Smith&Wesson has never shot anybody. I believe anybody who creates something that is designed to be used for evil should shoulder a moral responsibility, but it is the person(s) who actually use the thing for evil who need to be punished. I'm starting to ramble so I'll get on to my point. The best illustration of this is BO. (Back Orifice, an old trojan) The programmers cannot be punished for the evil use of the product. They should shoulder a moral responsibility. But that is between them and their consciense. (People who take no steps to prevent this kind of thing on their machines also have a moral responsibility.)

If Gigabyte did not release it she should not be punished. (I want to see how she support's her claim...)

I am saddened by the Gigabyte case. Having never had coontact with her personally I can only speak from what I've seen. She seems to me to be an amazing programmer. Hopefully this experience will change her ways. The IT industry really does need women of her skill. It is a male dominated world. But I cannot condone her methods for fighting the male domination.

I wish her well and only hope that this will change her views a bit.

Edit: Damn, this thread was on page 1 when I wrote it. I guess I got a bit distracted while I was typing.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.