Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpei-writer arrested

She never released them.. she just made them available on her website..

if you catch my drift..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned
    She never released them.. she just made them available on her website..

if you catch my drift..
    Lol. The fact is that if she had said she made one then never provided proof, namely code, then nobody would believe her anyway. By making it availible she has allowed people to see how it works, its flaws, and most likely how to counteract it. Also, she was in #lobby? As for Nostalgic, do you really think they are romantically involved via IRC? That is kinda wierd and distant. Either way, making a proof-of-concept virus is a good idea, in fact a very good preventative thing to do. If people had taken it seriously, the virus being released into the wild would not be a problem because patches and such would have been made.

-Cheers-

nope, they are romantically involved IRL (In Real Life)..

and she was not in #lobby (unerror)
    I met her on a belgian/dutch irc server ( irc.netric.org )
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned
    nope, they are romantically involved IRL (In Real Life)..

and she was not in #lobby (unerror)
    I met her on a belgian/dutch irc server ( irc.netric.org )
    Roger that. The unerror irc/server has been down for a while, any info from MB on this?

-Cheers-

The unerror irc/server has been down for a while, any info from MB on this?
    Go to irc.loonyservices.com instead.

BANNED
    reading what the virus does it doesnt even seem to have any kind of malicious intent
    and on startup it tells you your infected
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

is she hot?

no matter if she's hot,
    she is NOT guilty.
    Industry Kills Music.

I do not think that virus writing is a crime virtually anywhere? If it was then the AV companies would be in big trouble as they employ people to write them and encourage private individuals to submit proof of concept viruses. This is why they list so many as "not in the wild"?

I think that this is an excellent idea as it is PROACTIVE If AVs were purely REACTIVE the IT World would be a much more dangerous place?

I think that the issue boils down to "malicious intent" which is very difficult to prove at the best of times.

There are those who might argue that she was encouraging skiddies by publishing this work? If I were her defence counsel I would say that she made the material equally available to ALL AV companies and actually "defused" skiddies' activities by giving them code that was known to the AV companies, and already detectable?

If any "blame" is to be apportioned, it must largely lie with people who did not have an AV and keep it up to date...............I would argue the doctrine of "contributory negligence"

The mere fact that she operated in "plain view" would tend to argue in favour of non-malicious intention. She may have been "rather silly" or even "ill-advised", but there is a big jump from that to a criminal offence IMHO.

Just my £0.02

Senior since the 3 dot era
    deftones12, decide for yourself
    A nineteen year old Belgian tinny blonde who does kickboxing and writes virusses...

next, illegal... bwah she did not release them... or did she? I wrote virusses myself but did not publish them and didn't put them online. So it was only for learning purposes and out of curiosity and perhaps also frustration? argh... But I never used them. So a small malicious part in me was still smaller than the moral part? Probably.
    I think the problems she faces are overdone. The Belgian CCU better concentrates on others who do release their stuff. Bleh, probably they wanted some media attention cause Gigabyte is, female and popular like she is, a big 'media' fish. ??? Or is this a bridge to far?