Thread: stupid AIM punks!

stupid AIM punks!

I was at aan AIM chat room and all these IM and chat invatations starting to pop up, they came so fast and in such a great number that it froze up my AIM system and kicked me out of the chat, so how do I stop these punks from doing it again and how the heck are they doing it in the first place!!!
    I tuk huked on fonics, can u tell?

Well, I don't use AIM so I can't tell you any specifics, but you should be able to change your setting so that only those on your buddy list can send you an invitation, or an IM. When you are online and have an open IM client, anyone can search the database and see who is online. Then if you are set to recieve any and all invitations and or incoming IM's, to flood you with requests.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

yep,

with the popularity of the IM programs we are seeing more and more dirt bags messing with people and most likely it will increase even more in time. I have a hdd in front of me right now that I yanked our of my son's computer. It has at least one virus that tweaked the MBR and who knows what else! So I'll clean it back up, show him how and pop the cd backup in with his OS, AV, FW, etc. But he is a fan of those messaging programs and also the animas so I'll probably see this drive again before not to long.....lol

For further reading check the recent threads on the problems we are having with those instant messaging programs

Good luck with AIM

so can they send me a viris without me even opening their message? (cuse im kinda scared)
    And the flood thing, do they just have a bunch of ppl gang up on me? or is there a trick they are doing (like hav 6 screen names at one time) because I see about 6 or 7 diff ppl IMing me and 1 or 2 giving me chat infites IM also wounder ing if they are just after me because I can stay in the chat for about 5-6 sec and I see other ppl talking like nothin happened.
    I tuk huked on fonics, can u tell?

Banned
    so can they send me a viris without me even opening their message?
    You'd have to accept a file transfer or something to get a virus.

And the flood thing, do they just have a bunch of ppl gang up on me?
    NO. There is a program with which you can sign on with as many screen names as you want. And then they choose an attack froma drop down list and click Flood. Or Attack. And you get chat invitations, buddy accept lists, IM's, blank messages,error pop-ups, AIM icon exploits and such.

You can make your aim go buddy list only mode -

My aim >> edit options >> edit prefrences >> privacy >> allow only users on my buddy list

i have to say that i myself am not an aim user.
    that being said i would like you to know that yes communicating by im can leave you vunerable to outside attacks,with the recent news from aim being about the adware that has flooded the instant messaging..if you suspect you have been infected go to the aim web site>security central>it will give you step by step instructions to rid yourself of this problem.
    as far as getting sent a virus.."use caution at all times" is a good rule of thumb.

cheers

CYB3R.

Banned
    Originally posted here by MemorY
    You'd have to accept a file transfer or something to get a virus.
    Lets not forget URLs. Its amazeing how many peaple still beleave that you can only get a worm VIA: attachments.

well i gotta agree w/ Fatphantom i use AIM alot and i have seen this before so mangaSamurai you aren't alone!!!

there are a variety of programs made by people who use aim such as "aim invader", which use multiple screen names created by the user to spam people with various types of requests that aim accepts, such as file transfer and chat room invitation, there are several others, in any case, if one user is bombarded with enough of these requests it will freeze AIM, the best defense is change your aim preferences so that everything must go through a dialogue box for you to accept, or just block it completly if you know that you don't use that feature, and also chance your buddy list preferences to only allow people on your buddy list to contact you as FatPhantom said in an earlier post, short of not using AIM alltogether, that is the only advice i can offer.

cheers

edit : sorry i didn't see that memory had posted the same thing as i did, he got to it before i did , sorry about that.
    speak your mind becuase those who matter don\'t mind and those who mind don\'t matter