Thread: Buddylinks Malware/trillian ??

Buddylinks Malware/trillian ??

Hello all. Here's something that's been perplexing me. This morning I ran Ad-aware and found Buddlylinks (the malware you get through AIM).

Now here's why I'm puzzled: I don't have AIM. I despise AOL and all of its offspring. I run Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Immunize, Norton AV & firewall, and backup AV with AVG. I haven't clicked on anything that I wasn't 100% sure of and I don't open attachments unless I expect them.

Any idea how this malware got onto my pc? Thanks in advance for any help!

edit: I forgot to ad the only thing I have added recently is Trillian. Could this perhaps be the source of this infection?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Moved from Web Security to Adware/Spyware.

Not all spyware products catch everything. Might want to look at CWShredder (google for it) as an additional tool in the fight against SpyWare. That said, I didn't think that the Buddylinks was specifically an AOL issue but rather a link forwarding issue. Did someone send you to a website to play an Osama Bin Laden game?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Sry about posting to the wrong forum. And no, I haven't clicked on that link (the Osama game) - noone even sent it to me to click on!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm... I wonder if a recent edition of trillian is infected with it. There is also the possibility of visiting websites and them "uploading" it to your machine, thereby infecting you (not an uncommon practise unfortunately).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Anytime you go to a website, you're pounding through port 80. All any site has to do is dump something through port 80 and you've got it. This is how cookies get left behind because most people accept all cookies, regardless of where the cookie's being sent, what it holds, etc.

I myself am very very cautious with everything I do online from emails to my router setup to p2p connections, everything...and I still get dataminers and the like because using any browser (I use opera) utilizes port 80 and that's a swinging door with no lock.

Trillian's latest update does NOT have any infections as I use Trillian Pro extensively and it's been asked on their forums.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.