Thread: Norton ports

Norton ports

I have Norton antivirus and firewall 2004, and when I check to see what ports are opened these two always come up listening.

ccProxy.exe 1025 LISTEN TCP C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    ccApp.exe 1029 LISTEN TCP C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe

I was just wondering if Norton has to have ports open all the time. If so do they have to be listening on these ports or can I change what ports they listen to. By the way i run on windows xp home. Thx

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Google has this

Port 1025
    This is the first dynamically assigned port. Therefore, virtually any program that requests a port can be assigned one at this address.
    =======================================
    Port number: 1029

Common name(s): ICQ, first-os-port

Common service(s): ICQ

Service description(s): ICQ is an online instant messenger client

Common server(s): none

Common client(s): ICQ, licq, micq

Common problem(s): none

Encrypted options: none

Secure options: none

Firewalling recommendations: Block ICQ

Attack detection:

Related ports: 1024
    ==============
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Re

Hey,
    Well, that ccProxy.exe has nothing to do with norton. Thats your proxy server. I would guess you can use port mapping to change the ports .. Im guessing. Just goto "Options" dialog box, click a "E" button near the "Port Map" and you will find out how to set port mapping. As for ccApp.exe which runs auto-protect and email checking facilities.. I really don't know if they let you change its port that it listens on. I hope this helps you alittle.. or alot

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    I'm annoyed by the issue as well Dayneman.
    Unfortunately ccapp.exe is an integral part of Norton's Auto-Protect and Email Scanning processing.

ccApp.exe is the common hosting application that is used by both NAV and NIS. It is responsible for calling the different program features in NAV and NIS. For example, in NAV, if Auto-Protect and Email Scanning are enabled, then ccApp.exe makes sure that those programs are running. If ccApp is disabled, then Auto-Protect and Email Scanning will not run
    I found though, that if you're not sending/receiving email that you can turn off email scanning and this will close the ccapp.exe application and its associated port. Basically what I'm saying is that when I'm done using my email client, I turn it off. When I go back to check my email, I turn it back on. It's somewhat of a pain in the ass but I just don't like having ports open if I don't have to.

note - I forgot to mention. Auto-Protect will still work if Email Scanning is disabled.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

[where did u get ur copy of Norton From?]
    [Lord Viczerez::Emperor of the Viczerian Empire]
    ::GO UCF KNIGHTS:: ^_~ ::
    [RiceBoy1782@hotmail.com]

my bad you guys are right ccProxy.exe has nothing to do with Norton. Thanks for the information ShagDevil, i'll try that and see if it works. And for your answer Lord Viczerez i bought Norton from a store. http://www.symantec.com/purchase/