Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: can't delete a folder

then i suggest you get a registry cleaner or check the registry yourself for the foldername or part of it, and delete everything from the registry containing that name....
    that is, if it is not a system folder or anything, so backup your registry first!!!!

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    The task-manager and the like don't relate to folders like 'xerox', 'frontpage', etc...

These are locked by explorer.exe on bootup and are a real pain considering I would love to clean them out.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

From my experience, I will restart the box, and when get into the Windows back, dont try to running any application yet, but you have to delete the folder that you want to. I dont know why it is happen even nothing in the folder. I'm not guarentee this will work... but you may try.

hey, do tell me about the folder 'xerox'....
    y is it there??
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!

you are not giving much to work with are you .... Do you have any product from Xerox such as printer or something. What OS do you have? Where is this folder located ? what are its contents?

[edit]
    That xerox folder is part of a standard XP install. Its also part of the XP
    operating environment and is protected by Windows File Protection. Why is it
    neccesary? if you want to disable the file protection follw the instructions in the following link http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/790/

After a reboot, you are then able to remove the folders as you normally would. Be aware that this does, however, also remove the protection of critical system files, which depending on your level of expertise, could be either good or bad. The tweak itself is harmless.

Hmm you could possibly try going into 'safe mode' [that is, if the OS allows you to - didn't specify what version of Windows you're running] and see if you can delete it from there. Is it a system folder? [does a Google check on it return any kind of results about it?]

If after 'safe mode' it reappears, then, try the registry maneuver already sugested. If you cannot delete it in 'safe mode' you could possibly try to delete it from DOS with a boot disk [except that, on new OSes it will still be a DOS shell, even with a bootdisk - and older bootdisks won't see NTFS]. I am not sure wether any LiveCD GNU/Linux distros allow for writing on NTFS [Knoppix only has read-only mode], but if there is one, try that too.

Tell us how it works [and what works]
    /\\

riya_here, hypronix even though you will be able to delete this folder in safe mode it will re-appear again at the next logon . do not worry about it riya_here it is part of WINXP

The Program Files folder is home to 16 subfolders:

Common Files. This folder contains files shared with the Microsoft applications.

ComPlus Applications. This folder contains files used by ComPlus applications. If there are no ComPlus applications installed on your XP machine, this folder will be empty. COM+ builds on the Microsoft Component Object Model (COM) integrated services and features, making it easier for developers to create and use software components in any language, using any tool.

Internet Explorer. This folder contains the files and executables for Internet Explorer, a Web-browsing tool.

Messenger. This folder contains files and executables for the new Windows Messenger Service. This service combines features found in MSN Messenger with an improved communications infrastructure.

Movie Maker. This folder contains the files and executables for the Movie Maker application.

MSN. This folder contains the files and executables for MSN Explorer, the new Internet connectivity tool from Microsoft that combines Web, e-mail services, and Internet setup services.

MSN Gaming Zone. This folder contains the files and executables for the MSN Gaming Zone.

NetMeeting. This folder contains all the files used by Microsoft NetMeeting.

Online Services. This folder contains files used to establish Internet connectivity. These files enable you to set up Internet access through MSN or to select another available Internet service provider.

Outlook Express. This folder contains all the files and executables needed by Microsoft Outlook Express, a simple e-mail application.

Uninstall Information. This is a hidden folder containing files and information for uninstall services.

Windows Media Player. This folder contains the Microsoft Media Player application.

Windows NT. This folder contains any applications that have been ported over from other Windows operating systems (such as Pinball). This folder has empty folders in it if the ported components were not selected during installation.

Windows Update. This folder contains all the files used by the Windows Update Service.

Xerox. This folder contains all the files used by Xerox applications. By default, this folder is empty.
    http://www.informit.com/isapi/produc...tent/index.asp

although it is a harmless folder but if you still want to delete follow the porcedure stated above in my previous post.

or boot with a knoppix cd and mount the windows partition with -rw, and then delete the folder, this should work too...

I have windows ME, does it have Windows File Protection. how do i know which files are protected and which files the WFP has replaced does it replace them automatecally?

hi,
    only latest versons of Windows ME has System File Protection which is similar to Windows File Protection (WFP) in win2000/XP , it works in background actually. it maintains a database of the protected files. if one of the protected file it deleted or replaced SFP will automatecally copy the original file from dllcache folder it maintains. this process runs without the user intervention. it does not notify the user about the copying of file or anything. SFP maintains a log though you can check the log the log file,

can be found in the %SystemRoot%\Windows\System\SFP\Sfplog.txt
    You can view the list of files protected by SFP (nearly 900 files) by viewing which is found in %SystemRoot%\Windows\System\Restore\Filelist.xml.

There is a way to enable SFP to give you Popup Notification. To do this you need to edit the registry:

1. Start the Registry Editor
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ SystemFileProtection
    3. Double-click on the ShowPopups value, and change the value from 0 to 1
    4. Close the Registry Editor and restart Windows