Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linux Kernel 2.6.3 Out

cgkanchi:

Part of that would involve doing a PATH command, and rewriting the PATH to include the new root. that would create a root semi-jail, as it eliminated remoce command calls. A simple batch file could do that. I'll certainly look further into changing the actual current dir into the base dir. give me a moment, as changing a force on the base dir is the 2nd half of chroot.

edit: Cygwin allows the use of chroot on any directory, so that would cover it in according with a chroot jail. A temp solution, but it works.

I think what I need to know is, what do you want to accomplish with chroot? Since it has so many uses and functions, of course there will not be a command duplicate to emulate that said command. But the process in which you can choose to use chroot, can be emulated.

So, more specifically. What do you want to do with chroot

Antionline Herpetologist
    My main use for chroot would be to provide a shell (Terminal Services) to a person, who could do whatever he liked with the chrooted part of the box without touching the actual XP install.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Ahhh, that makes much more sense

Okay, here we go.

I just send you my IP via PM, use that to ssh into me. That's right, ssh into my windows box, on port 22.

user: sshjail
    pass: sshjail

You will be in a protected directory that is password protected, and rooted to that main dir. If we also wanted to alter the executiton settings we could also merely have a batchfile autorun on start up. Give that a shot, and then I explain how.

edit: Unplugged my firewall from port 22 just now for you to try. enjoy!

edit2: damn firewall, give me a moment

edit3:

Okay, so he now understands it, I will explain it here.

1. Two different ways to chroot, command line and GUI based.
    2. For a command line based chroot on remote, simply install a good old Windows SSH server. (example: http://www.networksimplicity.com/openssh/)
    2a. For a gui based chroot on remote, simply install a remote access GUI controller, (example: PCAnywhere)

3. Set proper settings to their home dir, the cmd.exe(or otherwise for PCAnywhere) executable for the terminal, and then proced to make proper User configuration settings. Around that home directory. If you know how to work the user and group policy settings, locking them in that home dir specificed by your ssh server/PCanywhere is a peice of cake.

4. After permissions are set and server is on, run it and login for the test. If you set permissions and policies correctly (just like good old chmod) then they are locked tight in their directory.

5. Finally, if you want to modifiy executable commands, simply have the connection shell run a batch script to redefine PATH and the Enviromental Variables to the appropraite directories you want them to access.

6. A bit longer to do than chrooting someone, but the process get's done just as securley and just as well