Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Order the Windows Security Update CD for Free

I had a dupe? I did get "page could not be displayed" so I refreshed the post. Sorry, I'll check next time I get that.

Some users will when they see the word free from microsoft and hopefully they will continue to update their systems and it wouldn't be a bad idea to put the cd in all windows Magazines but then you might get some smart ass that will just take the cd and leave the Magazine behind so the next person who picks up the Magazine won't get the cd but if they are reading it they wouldn't need the cd to begin with.

DeadAddict,

That certainly used to be the case over here in the UK. Patches, fixes and service packs used to be included with the cover CDs of computer mags. They are always firmly attached with Scotch tape or non-setting glue, so they don't "walk"

I have noticed that this trend has fallen off in the last couple of years though, which might be something to do with a change in M$ policy?

I always thought it was a good idea given that only about 60% of the UK can get a high speed connection unless they pay a small fortune for satellite (like as much as they paid for their computer). At 56.6, some of those updates are pretty daunting...........and how many "illiterates" are even aware that there is software to restart crashed downloads?.....if it didn't come in the box, they haven't got it?

For example I just reactivated an XP box that hadn't been used for about 9 months.........there were 54Mb of "critical updates"

Maybe when M$ have costed this current exercise they will have a re-think?

Cheers

Nihil,

I am in the UK and I have just ordered one, the drop down list to select "other counties" has English United Kingdom on it, just makes you sign in through the horrible .net passport before it lets you have it

Scott

I tried a couple of time to order this CD and couldn't get past a certain point. Kept getting the same page error. Than my brain kicked in.....I was using Firefox as a browser. I fired up the old IE6 and ordered it with no problems. I knew you had to use IE to get the updates and such, but never even though I would have to use it to order from them also.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Yea, I went ahead and ordered one these myself this afternoon... I keep everything at work patched anyway, but I know a few people who still use dial-up so maybe I will let them borrow it...

And moxnix, that doesn't surprise me one bit
    - Maverick

moxnix, I ordered the cd last night using firebird on linux. The only problem I had was with adding my telephone number. After a couple of tries it worked and my cd will be here in 4-6 weeks