Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: first scan

Unhappy first scan

i did my first virus scan a few minutes ago using AVG and it found 23 virii! good thing i got rid of them...

Reallyyy!!!!
    =

Well deleting them before they can do any damage is great, but not getting them in the first place is much better. and rember keep your antivirus up to date and download the latest security patches.
    Heheh Cheyenne

wow, I'm surprized you could even lite-off your computer with that infestation. Which ones were they? You obviously need to keep a AV program installed, updated more frequently, and scan. I check for updates at least every other day, and some AV's you can leave the auto-update feature on and everytime you go online, bingo, it does it automatically.

23, really? you're not yanking our chain are you?

edit: I was just shocked by the number and when HTRegz said he had one with 1125, I almost had a charmin moment....lol.

yeah, i don't know if they did any damage, is there a way to tell if they did?

Hey Hey,

23? Man that's nothing. I had a PC come in the other day, 1125 virii + 287 pieces of spyware. It was a sick, sick computer. Just remember to stay up to date. By default AVG scans @ 2am and updates @ 8am (if the defs are older than 14 days). I suggest you change the settings for updates, at the longest once a week. I have mine for once a week and then manually update every day.

Peace,
    HT

relyt, i did get 23

wow, that is one sick computer!

Just make sure your AVG's pattern is up-to-date, I suggest after you update your pattern, then try to scan your pc again, because some of the viruses can't be detected by old pattern. One more important thing, you have to download and update your scanner engine. New engine provides more effective. If you want, you may try another AV, I think Norton is better for me...

Hope this can help...

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    Hey Hey,

23? Man that's nothing. I had a PC come in the other day, 1125 virii + 287 pieces of spyware. It was a sick, sick computer. Just remember to stay up to date. By default AVG scans @ 2am and updates @ 8am (if the defs are older than 14 days). I suggest you change the settings for updates, at the longest once a week. I have mine for once a week and then manually update every day.

Well, I've never had to work with a PC with that much virii on it, but I can top your spyware number... I fixed a friends' PC a few weeks ago, and after running an adware scan on his box, the list of detected adware was over 600 pieces long... I was amazed...

He keeps telling me that he feels like he has a new computer now that all the crap is out of it.. It actually runs like it should now..
    - Maverick