Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: first scan

AJBcoolman8,

Sorry to have to tell you this but AVG is NOT "the sharpest tool in the box"..................it is particularly poor at detecting trojans, particularly if "heuristic scanning" is not switched on.

I would suggest that you go to the Panda and PCCillin (Trend Microsystems) sites and run their online virus scans (one is Eastern Hemisphere, the other Western).

Then get SpyBot Search & Destroy and AdAware6................update them both.........boot into safe mode and run them.

Update AVG manually, and run it again in safe mode

Good luck

EDIT: I just c&pasted this from a post I made earlier............it applies to you also:

Two good tools that don't seem to conflict with anything..........presumably because they are detecting the actual infection process are:

Registry Prot:

http://www.diamondcs.com.au

and WinPatrol:

http://www.winpatrol.com

ok... how do i restart XP in safe mode, im not really sure how to do it

i updated AVG this morning and i scanned my computer again and i found 9 more

to restart XP in safe mode, keep hitting F8 during the time when your computer turns on. it should givve you a list of choices, pick safe mode. then login and scan.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Yeh and Remember to turn OFF system restore before removing Virii..

and re-enabling it AFTER a restart..

AND Install the proggies that nihil mentions..

as well get the system to MS update..

be more interesting if you could name the bloody virii you are finding..

[brag]
    as for records.. 2800 infected files in one machines virii Benjimen (spelling?) - guess what prg these guys were running.. and the share folder had a mish mash of malware..
    oh and our record for parasiteware 285 (without the cookies - I clean that before running adaware or Spybot)
    Hey I had one system last week with 6 varients of blaster
    [/brag]

lol cheyenne1212

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

thanks slick

AVG dont have good cleaning template. Im using AVG and it detected-deleted once a worm on my system. Yet, I was still doubting, wondering if my system is completely clean. So I checked the trendmirco online scanner http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and it detected an infected batch file in my system left by the worm. So if I were you i would check it again using trendmicro online scanner. Its for free and would take only a couple of minutes. Take the benefit of the doubt. Trend Micro online scanner is the only online scanner that received a certificate of 100% virus detection and a certificate of 100% effective cleaning template.

ok, thanks dood

that housecall thingy only works on netscape, i have firefox... is there any alternative?

i think you misunderstood....is this the error you got?

HouseCall (for Netscape) installation
    It appears that the required components for HouseCall are not currently installed on your computer.

To install HouseCall, do the following steps:

1. download this program ;
    2. run it;
    3. restart your Netscape browser.
    thats be cause, IIRC, all mozilla based browsers identify as netscape. so download the program, it worked for me, and i'm in regular Mozilla.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

oh..... ok, thanks again slick