Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spyware killing me

to see all the stuffs that gets loaded on startup, download this:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

you might see some other tools on that site. if you are very comfortable with regedit, system.ini, win.ini, autoexec.bat, etc etc then you wont need this tool.

I'm comfortable with most anything. I'm fairly knowledgable, however, I've run linux for about 5-6 years so I dont often run across a lot of windows problems, expecially when dealing with valid/invallid processes, and the windows kernel. The computer isnt a database server, but it runs access database programs that move data between servers etc. These programs are scheduled with task scheduler to run at set times. I've put ethereal on it to sniff what is going in and out of it, and the sniffer didnt find anything other than legit traffic. I've even unplugged the computer from the network, and shut down every process that I could, and it still made no difference. I really appreciate your guys help, and interest in my problem. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Ive seen bad memory slow a PC down but shoudnt add 30 % processor... its hitting that awful hard.
    how big is your swap file? if its moving a lot of data perhaps its running out of memory? Im out of ideas otherwise
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Go back to Apple it safer for you!
    You need spy stay away, the spray can works well!
    Good luck DR

you cant see what specific process consumes the 30% ?

Goto start > Run > type "msconfig" then on the screen that pops up goto the startup tab
    post everything you see in the white window.......

this will allow us to ditermin what is eating up yoru speed (if it is anything) then we can deactivate it.....

ho and what are the specs on your computer???? prosseser speed, RAM, Memory... how old is it. where did you get it.... ect...
    if it is a hardware problem this will help me understand the history of it.

well if its win2k, it dont have msconfig. BUT:
    hit Ctrl-alt-delete (three finger salute) and bring up task manager. then click on processes tab, then DOUBLEclick on CPU... that will cause it to reorder the list by highest processor use down. you should see what processses are grabbing the processor that way, and then we can determine if its a normal function or if its malware/spyware etc
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

well if its win2k, it dont have msconfig
    Are you sure................don't have one running at the moment, but msconfig is in 9x and certainly in XP..........need to be logged in as administrator though?

It isn't spyware as far as I can see, and this is not a typical spyware problem.

1. Are you running background AV scanning?

EDIT:

2. If you have scheduled tasks, you must be running a scheduler......that will use resource?

Microsoft Access

1. When did you last compress your databases?
    2. When did you last defragment your drives?
    3. Have you less than 30% available disk space

Task manager will show you what is using the CPU, but your Access database performance is an entirely different issue. After all if you are using 30% that still leaves 70%?

Look at your Access DB and HDD housekeeping

Cheers

Have you tried to start the machine in safe mode to see if you have the same cpu usage?
    As a lot of others asked which processes is at 30%?
    I looked at the list of processes and i would suggest putting certain on manuel startup to test your cpu charge.
    And after you try all the above suggestions you still have the same symptoms then avenger_jcc and rwarren are probably on the right track with it being a hardware problem.
    ps I can confirm that MSconfig does not exist in windows 2k at least not on my box.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)