February 20th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Wireless network security
Could someone please provide me with a list of the most common wireless network security issues.
I am very new to the computer security field and would like to know about the common security issues for wireless networks.
Thanks in advance.
February 20th, 2004, 08:00 AM
February 20th, 2004, 12:49 PM
check out www.wi-foo.com lots of useful wireless testing tools.
The main issues are going to be access control and data protection.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
February 22nd, 2004, 04:27 PM
Basic security issues
- Position of your Base Point.
- Base Point with standard username/password. Solution: change it!
- Base Point with standard SSID. Solution: change it!
- Base Point with broadcasting SSID. Solution: change it!
These are the first steps you should take. Keep in mind though that the gain of security from these three basic steps is probably only a mere 1%.
- WEP: Basics and security issues
- MAC-address based ACLs (Access Control List): set up your network so that only trusted MACs can connect.
- VPN over Wi-fi
For more info on MAC-address based ACLs/VPN over wifi: It's all over Google
February 26th, 2004, 05:56 PM
re: wi-fi vulnerabilities
I personally find the Cisco SAFE blueprint for wi-fi an extrememly excellent resource. Although written by Cisco, i don't believe it exhorts the virtues of using their devices. Rather, it covers the entire spectrum of a 802.11 defense-in-depth strategy.
Here's the link: