Thread: Is your PC ready for Longhorn?

AO French Antique News Whore

Is your PC ready for Longhorn?

Microsoft said it will unveil the hardware requirements needed to run Longhorn--the next version of Windows--at a May developer conference.
    In an e-mail, the software maker said it will outline the required specifications for computers to run Windows at WinHEC (the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference), which takes place May 4 to May 7 in Seattle.

In a promotional e-mail for the conference, Microsoft said hardware and driver developers could "get the first close look" at Longhorn. In addition to the system requirements, the Redmond, Wash., company said it will detail how to write the drivers needed to connect hardware in Longhorn, along with "future directions for mobile computing and Tablet PCs, Media Center Edition, 64-bit Windows" and embedded versions of Windows.

Microsoft released a developers' preview of the software at its Professional Developers Conference last fall and has promised that the first beta, or test, version will be made available this summer. The company has not said when a final version of Longhorn will arrive, but analysts expect that it will be late 2005 or 2006.

The company has billed Longhorn as the biggest advance for Windows since Windows 95. The operating system features three major upgrades--a new graphics and presentation engine known as Avalon, a new communications architecture called Indigo and a new file system known as WinFS.
    Source : http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5161274.html

I'm anxious to see those system requirements! I want to buy a computer who able to run Longhorn this year!!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I am going to wait until they release a stable version and provide more details about it before making up my mind on if I am either going to buy the upgrade or just buy a new computer with it preinstalled.

Na, I won't want to new a new computer pre-installed. I need a new computer soon. My test computer is getting very painfull to run (A Pentium 133 with 32 MG). So I'll take my current P4 1.8 with 1Go of Ram was test system and buy a new one. But the new one must be compatibite with Longhorn or I'm gonna be piss off!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I am sure it will be but you may have to upgrade the memory on it though to get half way decent performance and maybe the video card but other than that it should install and run with out any problems. I also bet that they are going to come up with a new activation scheme because the one for Xp was cracked within a few weeks of it's release.

With microboobs reputation of releasing to soon, I would not advise anyone of getting it untill they have actually found some of the bugs and make the system "somewhat" stable give it some time and dont rush into buying it right now.

I think most will agree that micro's buisness practices are less than sufficient to trust them to have tested this system enough before release.

CHEERS.

Banned
    I installed Longhorn Beta Build 4015. Worked pretty well. It had to install ALL the hardware again, but it worked very well. No lagging and stuff.

My current computer is a s follows.

20GB HDD
    60GB HDD
    GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 XFX
    390 RAM
    800 Mhz Celeron
    2 CD-ROMS
    2 Floppy Drives
    2 Monitors
    56k PcTEL Modem v.90

So i think they might change stuff in the future in longhorn, but i was able to run it perfect with the hardware i listed above, so unless they change anything, you should be able to run it.

My feeling is that if it won't run on a P4/1.8/1Gb it will not sell very well. That is a higher spec than most commercial desktops in the UK at present, and government, education and healthcare are even less likely to buy new kit. They expect at least a 5 year hardware life?

Microsoft have generally got this bit right (eg. Win2000), and will have hopefully learned from XP, which has not been readily taken up by institutional customers, at least in the UK. They must get it right or they will create an enormous market amongst their existing customers for *nix COTS developers to exploit?

They have already shown some paranoia about "Lindows"?

Just my £0.02

Memory? Did you had the new UI call Avalon in your preview? This is the new feature that gonna eat alot of CPU and Video Card Processing.

Nihil, I don't except Longhorn to run on my comp since my video card suck (Matrox G550 and I cannot change since my mobo don't let me install any other video card) and Longhorn gonna requires good video card to run smootly with Avalon UI.
    -Simon \"SDK\"