View Poll Results: If you read this, do you think it would help someone?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 75.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Dude, you have no clue...

1 25.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spy Sweeper- OpenSite spyware???

i haven't gone to any of the "bad" sites recently.
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

al1aprize, the edit button is used instead of making multiple post.
    Have you followed any of the advice you were given? Is the problem resolved, or is it still bothering you?
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

yes, but it is still getting on my computer and my nerves.

al1....

There are only a few cases in which that program can return after it is removed. But first, just for review, have done the following from the website? Including emailing them?

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner...te/index.phtml

Uninstall procedure:

Uninstall OpenSite from "Add/Remove Programs" in the Windows® Control Panel. If you run into problems uninstalling, please contact the vendor.

Manual removal:

Please follow the instructions below if you would like to remove OpenSite manually. Please notice that you must follow the instructions very carefully and delete everything that is mentioned. In most cases the removal will fail if one single item is not deleted. If Bazooka still detects OpenSite after stepping through the removal instructions, please double-check by stepping through them again.

1. Start the registry editor. This is done by clicking Start then Run. (The Run dialog will appear.) Type regedit and click OK. (The registry editor will open.)
    2. Browse to the key:
    'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run'
    3. In the right pane, delete the value called 'Open Site', if it exists.
    4. Exit the registry editor.
    5. Restart your computer.
    6. Delete the following directory and its content:
    C:\Program Files\Open Site\
    7. Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    8. In Internet Explorer, click Tools -> Internet Options.
    9. Click the Programs tab -> Reset Web Settings.

Problems uninstalling? Click here.

And if you have, did you do what Moxnix recommened? "...Spybot S&D and AdAware... Both of these programs are free and will remove most spyware and malware from your system, as well as telling you that it is there.
    One of the worst malware programs to come out lately, is the Coolweb Search. CWShredder was made to take care of this one and its varients, so it is a good one to have avalible. It is also a free program."

If you have completed all of those things we have listed (while offline), then I would bet money that it is gone because we even took you into the registry! I would really doubt if there is some new mutant-persistant spyware/adware that could not be deleted by the means we provided you.

So that brings us to the next point: since you have irradicated the criiter from your computer with the above programs, then some how you are re-introducing the stuff to your computer once you go back online. Are you using an economical ISP that places banners and ads while you are surfing? Which browsers are you using and what is your homepage? Are you using AIM or any other Instant Messaging Service? What is your procedure for going online?

i use AIM, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger. i am on a LAN and use internet explorer to access the internet.

wait...not AIM, just YM and MSN IM

??What???
    What does that have to do with this?

Simple ..

We keep asking you to EDIT YOUR POSTS instead of extra posts .. But You are ignoring the requests.. ....to use the EDIT button on your posts! notice at the top of your posts .. those of yours have one extra button the EDIT button 3rd from the right if I remember.. You will also note this message has been edited.. because I added some info.. I did this instead of making an extra post..

Simple... when you know how I supose.. But many of us are guilty of the problem, some times we have a reason for it, many times we only have excuses..

I normaly Find when nusicence adware keeps comming back it is due to one of the following

1/ I didn't remove it
    2/ I didn't remove it completly
    3/ I am doing something that makes it come back.. using a program that Automaticly reinstalls it.. ouch which one is that? Visiting a website that auto loads it.. and it Aint Pron sites either.. Many many of this crap get onto ppls machines from "shopping" and information sites.. Check your Browser settings for install on demand..

USE GOOGLE when you are looking for information.. guess how many of us learnt most of what we know.. ? The information you are after will spring out of the pages at you.. In this case the company that produced the program will proudly tell you of some of their customers.. why.. that want to sell you their services..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

i know, but i come every so often and then i can't edit them any more. oh and its not in the add/remove list