Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing nmap with MS-DOS?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    winpcap - I D/L to desktop, then hitting the icon, it went to prog files by default, and I let it go.

path lists the directories that dos searches when looking for an executable file, inc bat files.

path example path c:\;c:\dos;c:\accounts

here the command is to first check in c:\
    then to check in c:\dos
    and then to finally check in c:\accounts

(note the ; <semi-colon>is the separator between paths.

what I'm saying is that there might be some layers to open before you get to the Dir that holds the .exe
    i.e. c:\nmap\xxx\xxx ? just browse in explorer to C root, open nmap and find the .exe

small screen ?
    I don't know for certain, but am fairly certain that if it is a window that you have opened ?? to get to dos, R/Click to properties, in the general tab select window, not full screen.

if all else fails, there was an 'nmapwin' on the site

so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Thumbs up

I DID IT!!!

I didn't know how to set the path properly, i was typing in 'path' when i should of been typing in 'path='.

I then typed in nmap.exe and it was there! I found it on the net in the end on an ms-dos user guide page, but thanks you guys for pointing me in the right direction.

One last thing (hopefully) relating to dos : when i do a command, say DIR, it lists loads and loads of programs making the information go right off the page, but there's no scroll function so i can't see everything, how do you get around this? Or isn't there any way?
    \"What is is not, what is not is - - if this is not yet clear to you, you\'re still far from the truth.\"

Well you could type :

dir /p

/P Pauses after each screenful of information.

Is that what you meant ???
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    One last thing (hopefully) relating to dos : when i do a command, say DIR, it lists loads and loads of programs making the information go right off the page, but there's no scroll function so i can't see everything, how do you get around this? Or isn't there any way?
    There is always a way. Press and hold Alt then press Enter and it will size the DOS window between full screen and a windows panel. This will give you the ability to scroll.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

if all else fails, there was an 'nmapwin' on the site
    I used the GUI version of nmap once, and it was the most awfull things. Its really hard to use and on top of that its highly unstable.
    I recoment you just continue using DOS.
    A good site that will tell you all about different DOS commands is http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm#02 (thats where I go for my problems )
    -HDD

Thanks Agent_Steal that did the job.

TheHorse i tried that but i still don't get the scroll option, maybe some windows versions scroll and some don't? Oh, and HDD that's weird because that's the place i was at when i was trying to figure this problem out, i agree it's a good site.

Thanks again for the help, time to carry on learning what i can from the tutorials i guess.
    \"What is is not, what is not is - - if this is not yet clear to you, you\'re still far from the truth.\"

Ok - let me get something straight

The Windows NT* command prompt (cmd.exe) IS NOT MS-DOS . It isn't even slightly similar to DOS, it's only superficially similar. It is nothing like DOS - what's behind the cmd.exe is really a 32-bit Windows program. nmap is a 32-bit windows program, AND THERE IS NO DOS PORT.

There probably will be no dos port, ever. Therefore, trying to run nmap in MS-DOS is entirely futile.

However I suspect that by "MS-DOS" you really mean "The windows NT command prompt"

Slarty

* - By "Windows NT" I mean any version of Windows NT, for example, 4,5,5.1 - which are often referred to as "Windows NT 4.0" "Windows 2000" and "Windows XP" respectively

Just Another Geek
    To get the scrollbar on your cmd.exe window just right-click on the top bar and choose properties. On the tab "Layout" Screen Buffer Size, set height to something like 3000.

On the properties page you can also change the font and colors if you like.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.