Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot Problem

Boot Problem

hi guys i have windows xp pro and a intel perll865 motherboard and i have a issue with booting when i start my computer it askes this

Reboot and select Proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device

and when i ordered the motherboard it cam with a cd and a raid driver.

plzzz help!!
    Signature image is too wide!
    Signature image is too tall!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Umm.. have you gone into the BIOS and checked to see what is the default boot order and what devices are in the boot sequence?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

i thinck its asking for the sequence and i guess that i would need to download it. if im right can someone plzz tell me where to get them. the mother board is an intel perll865.

You don't "download" it. When the system boots up (usually from a power on or cold boot) you can press either F1, F8, F10 or del to get into the BIOS itself. There usually is somewhere in there that gives boot sequence orders. You have to set whatever you want to be the first boot device, the next and so on.

Did you not get a manual with your motherboard?

And this thread is being moved to Hardware.

[/edit]

Intel provides a fair amount of information on their boards. Might want to visit them as well.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

? Download the sequence? lol
    It should be something like this:
    A, D, C
    or something, here: computer first tries booting from A drive then if A not available from D, then from C which is the HD in my case.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

ok ty for moving it, but yes i do have a manual. but how would it help from that boot device sentence from coming up. if i tell it to boot from the A drive or something???
    i thinck its really asking for a boot disk
    EDITED:: also if its not that what catagorie is it from the bios setup, sequence located?

It's asking for a boot disk because it's probably set to ONLY boot from floppy. You need to alter that in the BIOS. The manual should be able to give directions on how to alter the boot sequence so it will boot from Hard drive.

However, in the link I've provided I noticed there are a few updates for the Intel D865 Perl. I'm not sure if this is yours or not. If not, you might want to double check your version to see if there are any updates.

ok i wrote down that update version number and my bios is out of date. do i need the bios update and the recovery? and if so how do i install it?

Generally, the manufacturer will have information on howto install bios updates but it usually follows this:

1. download bios update
    2. double-click on update file and it will ask for floppy
    3. put floppy into the floppy drive (usually appears as A: in Windows)
    4. update will copy necessary information to floppy.
    5. when done (that's when the little light goes out) reboot the machine with the floppy in the floppy drive. It will update the BIOS. It is often CRITICAL that you do NOT lose power or interrupt the update (great way to toast your BIOS -- I've done this).

So, go to the manufacturer website and RTFM.

ok but im using 2 computers since i cant even get xp started. so im gonna put the bio file that i downloaded on the A floppy disk. start up my new comp and insert the flopppy disk. is that correct?