Thread: Windows 98 Shutdown Error

Windows 98 Shutdown Error

I have been working on a clients computer I cannot fix this error:

EXPLORER caused an invalad page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff87f00

I have tried absoutly everything I could think of. I have already loaded over a couple of times. I tried putting in a diferent hdd and loading windows and it works fine after that but i need to keep everything intact. This even happens in diagnostic mode. Please HELP!

AO French Antique News Whore
    You're using Windows 98. That mean millions and millions of possible error!! Could be bad memory but could bascially be Windows 98 who need to be re-installed.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

yes.. sometimes it's best to back up what you can, then do a clean install.

you might get lucky and try what MS says with the pwl files..
    MKBA-187965..Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module Kernel32.dll

and SDK.. I'll back win98se.. it's a stable OS if you keep things clean and neat along with having decent hardware.. it also helps if you install it with Litepc's 98lite.. LitePC has a version for XP and 2000 too.

they rock..

Thanks guyz ill have my boss try that out when he goes back in on monday, i wont be goin back in till thursday. Hopefully thats stuff works, after all antionline is filled with the smartest people in the world

I'm really a fan of Windows 2000 over 98. I had around 10 users using Windows 98 at the job and since I move some of them to 2000 because they were complaning too much Windows was crashing, they don't complain anymore ; most of them don't see speed different between 98 and 200 anyway
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Windows 2000 (NT5) is an excellent OS (for Windows) and one that I would certainly recommend for a commercial to SOHO installation. In my experience it is actually less "greedy" than 98/ME

Win 98SE is also (IMHO) a nice stable system IF IT HAS ENOUGH RESOURCE!!! RAM is the issue, and I would give it 256Mb or better, but NEVER more than 512Mb unless you like "living in interesting times"

/HERESY ALERT

I have actually resolved Win98 problems by upgrading to ME, but you need 384Mb of RAM for a stable installation, in my experience

/HERESY ENDS

There could be a number of causes for your problem..........You might try reinstalling IE, as I have known this conflict with Explorer.

I would guess a complete re-install (reformat) should solve the problem.

You don't say exactly what the system specs are or the OS?

Cheers

I run Windows 2000 on a 300 MHz with 64 Ram a complet year at my school back in 2001-2002. I even finished the year with Windows 2000 Server on that machine!
    -Simon \"SDK\"