Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Account Hold/Freeze

Account Hold/Freeze

You know how you get a statement when you post too many positives or when your close to being banned. I think there should be a freeze statement. I think if someone gets Neg'd with 10 - 15 points, they should get paused from the system anywhere from 30 minutes to a day and this stops people from blowing out threads on their way out.

Also, it would be funny if the statement had a saying such as "You have been infected or showing the signs of the 1-D-10-T (idiot) Virus. Please take some time to correct these symptoms and return to AO when you feel these issues were corrected. As a back up measure AO will also be quarantining you for X minutes to protect their systems. Thank You"

Interesting idea, but what about the person who has made a dumb post...gets negged...and wants to apologize?
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Sometimes that one person needs to take a couple minutes and calm down. Once they have been reactivated they can post a nice calm apology. It cuts down on the lash-outs unless this person is going to be sitting there for the next x amount of minutes stirring in anger, then we really don't need them. Some people just get worked up and this couple of minutes is not going to be too bad. I really think it is a good idea.

I do see your point, but..... Well how about this -- A person makes a bad post, gets negged by 10-15 points, then makes another post thats is acceptable( no negs) and goes on. If they are negged in the second post, then they are subject to a 24 hour time out like you have suggested. The whole process being monitored (if possible) by one of the Mods. (yeah I know....more unwanted work)
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

You don't think someone could deal with being offline 15 - 20 minutes? The only other thing that is logical is to change it from 10-15 points to 20-25 (or higher). I really think the short kick would help the community and help someone from lashing out when their upset and messing up their whole account. It also stops mass suicide threads, and other stupid kiddie tricks.

or I was thinking. If a person gets negged by 2 or 3 people within 30 minutes.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    How about this for an alternative:

Mods have the ability to split out threads and then reset the status of the thread (but not removing the APs applied) so that the thread goes back to even?

Putting someone for a "timeout" won't, IMO, solve it. Kiddies and trolls will play havoc anyways. When an account is "banned" via the AP system the user can come back a few hours later. This deals with the issue of good threads being turned bad far better. It's not whether the person takes a timeout or not but rather how many negs they receive from others. So unless you limit the amount of negs a user can receive in a period of time, it won't stop threads from going suicidial.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

This wasn't supposed to be a cure for suicide threads per se. I was thinking of resolving lashouts, mass posting, and other things that may result from this. If I see a good thread going under I try to even out the thread, but I do feel the time out could resolve a few of the problems.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I was thinking of resolving lashouts, mass posting, and other things that may result from this.
    I don't know if it will. There are those that will always lash out regardless. Heck, I've moved a thread and received a PM from someone basically saying "how dare you move my thread! what gave you the right and how dare you neg me!". Now. I didn't neg them and I had moved the thread to an appropriate place. So people will lash out regardless of having a break or not, IMHO.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yes, but they lash out, they get locked out for X amount of minutes are they going to go right back to lashing out? If they do there goes another 30 + minute period and theres a good chance they will get neg'd hard for lashing out in that case they may deserve to be banned.

However, this could resolve an issue in a heated discussion where and individual would risk their account to make a point. I have seen people get a little carried away in a discussion and I'm sure if they were smarter and took a break, the problem would have been handled better and in this case, we would be giving them the hint a break is needed.

** Does anyone here feel this could be effective. I don't want to waste my time pushing something if it hopeless. I was just in the mindset that this was a great idea **

I think it could work, despite my current status of -23 points because of a little rant i made about Microsoft's Security