Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The End of Buffer Overflows!

Just Another Geek
    Actually this isn't a 'new' solution. Other non-I386 based CPUs already have this feature.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

? So actually it doesn't work at all? SPARC stations are still vulnerable to buffer overflows...??
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Just Another Geek
    Well, it made it more difficult but like everything this can also be circumvented.
    Oliver's Law:

So much negativity, I'm dissapointed in a few of you:

So what? It can be beaten still

That's true. But it is one more step towards a more secure system. Even one step counts.

It's an MS marketing plot

If their plot includes helping their systems to have better security, then I will cheer that on

IBM shouldn't be fixing MS's problems

Linux, UNIX, and BSD all have buffer overflows. MS is taking a step beyond it to be one of the first hardware/software combinations for this kind of security. Once again, I will cheer them on and hope that everyone else doesn't forget that Win distro's are not the only OS releases that have buffer overflows.

Be happy. As I said before, whether you enjoy Ms or not, it is a step towards better security for the entire community.

Banned
    I still do not like the idea of MS coupling with hardware companies. It leads to the possibility as someone said of a lockout as stated, or that only XP can run on it. Fixing software problems with hardware is IMHO a horrible idea. Create better programs and better coding so you do not have to worry about nearly the amount of errors or overflows or vulns..

-Cheers-

I really want to take that first step and begin learning unix/linux...gotta get away from evils of MS... seriously though, Id be interested in seeing this happen. But as was said earlier.. fix the holes and its not needed.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

gotta get away from evils of MS
    Lol, this is just a cliché. There's nothing wrong with Microsoft products, the only problem is they have the entire OS market in their hands which is dangerous from a security point of view.
    But yes, having hardware for specific software goes too far.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

agreed, I would just like to have a real option besides MS. Im tired of MS based products, but more tired of MS based marketing AKA Here is a "new" operating system that fixes all the problems the previous one had... Truth is it introduces a handful of new problems. Thats why microsoft invented the service pack... I dont know I guess just once Id like to see MS slow down, stop. Take the current project they are on, and review. try to break it. lots. then do it again. and FIX the problems they encounter.
    THEN release to testers, with all the known issues and security holes fixed.
    (I mean the ones that hack the hell outta things-- and ones that are DIRECTLY controlled to avoid a public leak) and let THEM test it. beat it up, push its buttons and try everything. THEN review, fix and finally release. The result? something that works the way its supposed to. No need for new processors or emergency patches. No more service packs or worms that utilize a known exploit... It just seems lately if you hear microsoft, you soon hear within the same sentence security or exploit. They have the money to sit back with a product and work it out.
    But they are too busy with the cashcow industry lock.... dont fix, produce and sell new.

MS is the only company I know of that can SELL us something with broken parts, and then sell us something to replace the broken product we bought...

(I mean example win95 to win98, not service packs)
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Just Another Geek
    I think Linux and *BSD can also benefit from this processor feature. I'm curious as to how they're going to implement it and still keep the processor backwards compatible for OSs that don't support it.

I like this idea alot better then the horrible DRM chips they're talking about.
    Oliver's Law:

Originally posted here by alphabetarian
    Here's a thought... how about they just go back to basics and check the actual code for potential overflows?? Rather than designing in security, this just sounds like another after-the-fact patch job. Granted a rather interesting patch...

alpha
    i agree completly!