Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bypassing

Hazarawood,

I am giving you positive antipoints for this thread..............you helped me solve something I have been working on for the past 10 days!!!!!!

I tried Sam Spade on the machine and got all stars!................some kind of firewall conflict/corruption, because I had Sam Spade in the "trusted, let it do what it wants" list.....

I had a problem with replacing Java (MS ) with Sun, and was getting some funny results from websites such as AO (smilies gone, no page forwarding etc) MSupdate just showed a blank page!!!

Given that you can get to the actual sites OK , just like I could, I think that you are routing through a machine with the same problem? I replaced the firewall, and it works fine now.

If you know the administrator of the machine you get stuck at, I would suggest that you speak to them and advise them that they might have a firewall corruption problem......this is a potential security threat, as you don't know what it will or will not do?

I was using the Agnitum firewall, which had worked perfectly (I think) up to then.

Hope this helps

Weird?.............I try to help you, and you end up helping me without even knowing..........I guess that is AO for you

Thanks again!

Just Another Geek
    If you cannot traceroute and/or ping beyond your own gateway it could mean a couple of things:

1) Your NAT isn't working
    2) Your firewall blocks outgoing icmp echo request
    3) Your firewall blocks incoming icmp echo reply and/or icmp time exceeded
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.