Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Schwarzenegger for president?

arnie for pres i dont know about. well actually i do. i dont think the law should be changed but its just too bad this restiction keeps him from having colin powells job. we could bombard an unfriendly counrty with terminator movies then send him in to talk.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Obviously an American issue, for Americans to decide, but I would comment:

1. The nationality of the head of state becomes more important in proportion to the amount of personal power that they hold. As I understand it, your President can authorise a nuclear war.....................our Prime Minister cannot?

2. The President is elected in his own right, so is not subject to the constraints of a cabinet and party, unlike a lot of Prime Ministers around the World?

Cheers

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I am a native born citizen, my mother was not. I take a lot of things for granted. My mother didn't. My mother was more proud and caring of America than most native borns of my generation (I'm 45).

I would think at a certain point a naturalized citizen should be allowed the right to run for president.

It wouldn't involve changing the constitution entirely, there would have to be an ammendment. If we didn't change our constitution in the past only white men would be voting, amongst other changes.

Our constitution is a living document, times and issues change, ammendments can be made.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

The guy hasn't even fixed California and he is already wanting to be president! That's certainly eyeing a long term goal.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    The guy hasn't even fixed California and he is already wanting to be president! That's certainly eyeing a long term goal.
    I was just going to mention that! Most of the stuff he has proposed (besides the reduction in DMV fees - which I still havent recieved my check) is going to be on the ballot in two weeks.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

just a little thought. Is it not also true that even if someone is born from amercian parents but outside the United states then they too are unable to run for president even thought they have been americian all their life. So the question is not even if the person is from americain parents but if they are phsyically born in the united states. As far as i know anyone born in the united states has the right to run for president it has nothing to do with nationality. I could be totally wrong but that is the impression I get from my girlfriend who is americain.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

If someone is Born from American parents, even outside the USA, that baby IS a US Citizen. In some cases they may also be eligible for dual Citizenship in the host country. It happens all the time.

I may be wrong here. But I think that you cannot have held a dual citizenship and be elected president. I know this is true for US military members applying for a Security Clearance. Then again, if applied for under normal circumstances, Clinton would not have been eligible for a clearance high enough to clean the toilets in the White House.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Babies are born outside the US all the time but I think most parents elect forfeiture of dual citizenship and not many countries even offer it. I would guess you are correct about not being able to hold the office of presidency if you were a dual citizen, but then again by the time you reach that age, even the one's who do offer dual citizenship, set expiration dates on the privilege. To my knowledge it isn't forever in a lot of cases and I definitely remember some friends telling me they had to choose before the child reaches a certain age.

My question which wasnt very clear is to become president does the person have to be born on american soil? I am not sure that it is a question of dual citizenship. When that part of the consitution was written i dont think that was even a question. I think as has been mentioned above the idea was only someone who was born in the country could de trusted enough to become president.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)