Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HiJackThis log report-guidance needed

HiJackThis log report-guidance needed

Well ya'll helped me out on my other issue, thought you could also check out my hijackthis log and see if everything looks kosher.

I have updated and run AVG.
    I have updated and run Spybot S &D.

Nothing is coming up. Just wanted to see about my startup etc.

Just let me know what you see.

Thanks everybody,

Len

Hi raven,

I can't see anything obviously out of order. Are you having any problems? If it is your machine running slow then you might look in your startup folder and remove things that you dont use all the time?

You have got rather a lot of apps running

Cheers

looks ok although rather opulant. you have services running that you dont need like OSA (office start up) and zip manager. is office something you need all the time and aren't zip files registered with your system to be opened by zip manager? same thing with docs and spreadsheets. do you need these thing there waiting all the time eating up resources so word can open a few seconds faster. there's allot of fat to trim in my opinion.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thanks guys (gals). No serious problems. Just slow sometimes. win98se, 733ghz, 386mb. but the startup has tons of stuff that starts up that I don't need like you pointed out (zip, osa, etc.)
    System resources can be at 60% then i do the ctrl, alt, del thing and take out everything but explorer, systray, avg***. then the resources climb to 89% free. Is there anyway to keep the stuff from going into startup and running constantly in the background. It took me all day to defrag one time because of all the stuff running. it kept changing the drive contents and starting over.
    It is just a pain to keep ctrl,alt,del'ing everything.
    Len

if you go into start then run and type in msconfig then go over to the startup tab you go through and uncheck any unecessary things that are running at startup this should speed up your computer and stop the process' from starting up on reboot.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Excellent! Thanks spyrus. So simple, yet so...under my freaking nose.

Len

Len,

Just to make things worse mate..................try running defrag in safe mode..............it will go a lot better with hardly anything running, but it is still a long process in Win98.

Look for "Diskeeper Lite", it is a lot more efficient, and you should be able to d/l a free copy. Win98 defrag is notorious

If you defrag in safe mode you will also defrag your AV pattern file which should make day to day running a bit better? Your AV, SpyBot etc also run better in safe mode, and have a better chance of catching things.

Cheers

Nihil, sweet advise. thanks.

c' ya,

A great reference to help you sort out the junk in your startup menu is at

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

Have fun

Thanks. I went through and added a couple of task that can be removed. Found out that loadqm.exe is some kind of MSN Queue Manager. Not normally needed along with a few others. Thanks again.
    One question. The "spool32.exe" entry only comes up as virus related. Is this usually the case?