Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Service pack2 built-in virus scanner

Service pack2 built-in virus scanner

Service pack2 built-in virus scanner

Ethereal writes "InternetNews.com reports that Microsoft has begun beta-testing a built-in virus scanner for its Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) that will be included in the final product in mid-2004. The tool is among the operating system enhancements the Redmond, Wash., company is developing as part of its Security Center initiative to rebuff viruses, worms, trojans and crackers. Microsoft will also provide free online training to help developers make the most of SP2's security features, Chairman Bill Gates said at today's RSA Security conference. It's the first time the company has offered training with a Windows service pack release."
    http://slashdot.org/articles/04/02/24/2134233.shtml

Lets hope it works a little better then the one that came with windows 3.1

Banned
    SP2 will also have the built-in firewall turned on by default, will include new browser and e-mail safeguards, will enhance XP's memory protection features,...

Here's
    a MS white paper on it.

This document specifically focuses on the changes between earlier versions of Windows XP and Windows XP Service Pack 2 and reflects Microsoft’s early thinking about Service Pack 2 and its implications for developers. Examples and details are provided for several of the technologies that are experiencing the biggest changes. Future versions of this document will cover all new and changed technologies.

i bet it'll have as many holes in it as swiss cheese!!hehe
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

al1aprize, why do you say that? Do you not know how to secure a windows box?

Here are a few things to help:

NSA's official WinXP security guide: http://nsa2.www.conxion.com/winxp/

LabMice's XP security guide: http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm

And the XP Smoker security tool: http://www.xp-smoker.com/

EDIT: The whitepaper of the SP2 also talks a lot about their security improvements hardcoded into XP

Security Technologies

Many customers do not or cannot roll out security updates as soon as they become available, but still need to be protected against the risks that these security updates are designed to mitigate. Each security bulletin that Microsoft delivers includes information that customers can use to help mitigate risk while they deploy the update. However, Microsoft is delivering other security technologies that provide additional mitigation when a security update cannot be deployed immediately. These security technologies cover the following areas:

1 Network protection. These security technologies help to provide better protection against network-based attacks, like MSBlaster, through a number of innovations, including enhancements to Windows Firewall. The enhancements include turning on Windows Firewall in default installations of Service Pack 2, closing ports except when they are in use, improving the user interface for configuration, improving application compatibility when Windows Firewall is on, and enhancing enterprise administration of Windows Firewall through Group Policy. The attack surface of the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is reduced, and you can run RPC objects with reduced credentials. The Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) infrastructure also has additional access control restrictions to reduce the risk of a successful network attack.

2 Memory protection. Some attacks by malicious software leverage software security vulnerabilities that allow too much data to be copied into areas of the computer’s memory. These vulnerabilities are typically referred to as buffer overruns. Although no single technique can completely eliminate this type of vulnerability, Microsoft is employing a number of security technologies to mitigate these attacks from different angles. First, core Windows components have been recompiled with the most recent version of our compiler technology. Additionally, Microsoft is working with microprocessor companies to help Windows support hardware-enforced execution protection (also known as NX, or no execute) on microprocessors that contain the feature. Execution protection uses the CPU to mark all memory locations in an application as non-executable unless the location explicitly contains executable code. This way, when an attacking worm or virus inserts program code into a portion of memory marked for data only, an application or Windows component will not run it.

3 Safer e-mail handling. Security technologies help to stop viruses (such as SoBig.F) that spread through e-mail and instant messaging. These technologies include default settings that are more secure, improved attachment control for Outlook Express and Windows Messenger, and increased Outlook Express security and reliability. As a result, potentially unsafe attachments that are sent through e-mail and instant messages are isolated so that they cannot affect other parts of the system.

4 More secure browsing. Security technologies that are delivered in Microsoft Internet Explorer provide improved protection against malicious content on the Web. One enhancement includes locking down the Local Machine zone to prevent against the running of malicious scripts and fortifying against harmful Web downloads. Additionally, better user controls and user interfaces are provided that help prevent malicious ActiveX® controls and spyware from running on customers’ systems without their knowledge and consent.

5 Improved computer maintenance. A very important part of any security plan is keeping computers updated with the latest software and security updates. You must also ensure that you have current knowledge of security attacks and trends. For example, some software updates that mitigated known viruses and worms were available before any significant attacks began. New technologies are being added to help the end user stay up-to-date. These technologies include Security Center, which provides a central location for information about the security of your computer and Windows Installer, which provides more security options for software installation.

don't be prejudiced about something you haven't even tested,my friend.
    www.rootforge.com

Ok, while I can appreciate that m$ is trying to do more towards their security... don't you think this is going to enhance them further as a monopoly? People are already complaining about their bundled browser, media players, etc. Now they're going to be bitching about their bundled firewalls and antivirus.

Also, as a side note... lets hope that their bundled av and "enhanced" fw will not conflict with any other software that we currently use.... not to mention all the more resources it will require.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

phish, nothing personal to you, but everytime I see " M$" I think 13 years old. M$ is a C, C++, BASIC, etc etc defined stringsvariable, and horrible way I feel to say "Microsoft". As I said, nothing personally directed at you, but even pennyarcade slapped that around.

As for monopoly, I don't see it happening. Linux is on the emerge (even commercials during the superbowl) and the court is no longer recognizing Microsoft as the sole large OS distrubutor. If people don't want the bunblded software, then the courts will tell them to not use MS, but to switch to a free and choice based OS platform.

Regarding resources, I would imagine a built in AV and firewall will use the same amount of resources as your current AV / firewall combo.

pooh sun tzu: nothing personal to you either... but I don't care what you think about me using m$ or MS... WTF is the difference? you knew what it meant. that is a common combination of letters or symbols that people see and recognize microsoft. Weather you use "windows", MS, m$, XP, etc. you know what they mean. again... nothing personal to you either.

m$ is STILL a monopoly and the only reason the courts are letting them still include the browser and media player (amongst other software) is because you have the option to NOT set them as your defaults. I don't have anything against m$. I use both linux and m$.

Yes, linux is gaining more attention. Especially because of the lawsuits they are invloved in... but because of those lawsuits... people are not choosing them for solutions. they don't want to end up getting screwed in the end (just in case SCO wins... somehow... it is possible... it being tried in the US and they always have bizarre rulings)

Like I said, I appreciate that they are trying to better their security... but I can see more problems down the road because this software will be "bundled". Now, if they were to give the option to install it or not to install it... that's a bit different. it requires the user to make a choice. If the user knows they already have it installed, chances are, they aren't going to go out and buy another product... because to the end user... its all the same.

You're right about the resources though. Both products will use about the same amount of resources, I'd imagine... I was more concerned with conflicts that you might have with existing products. Most products advise you not to run more than one type of AV or FW at the same time on the same box.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

BANNED
    phish if you could write a better operating system you would prboably be selling it its a business.
    You don't go buy a bag of bread, some sandwich meat, and rent a building just to give food away.
    If you dont like monopolies, shut off your power, dont use water, and dont use MS products.
    And they might have added an option in the install not to install the stuff you wont know till you use it.
    And im pretty sure you and everyone else using windows will use it.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

i'm sick and tired of those who talk against MS.and especially of those who talk about monopolies.no offence guys, but if you are able to make your own Os, why don't you do that?
    the easy way is to spend great ammounts of time, talking about MS policy and about monopoly.it's like we all became experts.if you think you are capable of doing something better than windows, why don't you do it?i don't see any black costumed guys coming to stop you.if you also decide to keep on argueing about MS, why don't you install linux or even bsd?
    every MS "enemy" has windows installed on his machine.so get rid of windows and take up another OS.but first as i said before format your win partition.talking about bundled software.....as i can recall all linux distros have bundled software such firewalls,games, players bla bla bla.oh i forgot !thats under gpl.they don't have profits.....ok just keep an eye on fedora project guys...
    www.rootforge.com