Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Service pack2 built-in virus scanner

I didn't mean to take the thread so far off-topic. But...

You must not know that much about Windows..
    Erm.... hmph. If you say so.

If you can't set different NTFS permissions based on folders and volumes, then you really don't know anything about windows.
    Alrighty then. Why don't you set \Program Files \windows and \windows\system32 read-only for all but the administrator and let us know how many applications still work, hmmm?

The tree is a jumbled mess that requires write access all over the system areas for non-privileged users. It's because Windows 2000 inherited a directory structure that was developed in the DOS/Win3.1 days before multiuser environments were ever put in place. They made a design choice to keep the old structure for backward compatibility, and that's fine. But a hatchet job on filesystem permissions is the price you pay for it.

Look... I'm not disavowing the virtues of AV scanners or firewalls. Anybody here who knows me knows that I believe strongly in those things. My only point is that for Microsoft to include them in a service pack that is supposed to boost security is like putting a Band-Aid on a gunshot wound. It's a nice thought, but it's not going to fix the basic problem. And it's just going to hurt companies that put out fine products that I'm pretty sure are more fully featured than anything Microsoft can come up with.

Anyway, enough said..... back to retirement.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Hey Hey,

That's like saying set /bin or /usr/bin to root only and saying let's see if files will still work properly, or how about only giving root access to /lib. You can set individual file permissions using NTFS, go in and set the permissions on the individual files.... it's not that difficult of a task, maybe long and tedious, but not difficult.

Peace,
    HT

About the "included" firewall.as you can read in ms white paper, they recognized the instability and the inconvience that icf caused and with sp2 they are trying to make things better.what's wrong with that?if you don't like it, just disable (off) it and use norton, kerio, outpost , bla bla bla.symantec and other companies are specialized in making this kind of software.so there would be no comparison between ws and their firewall......but i still find the idea of bundling a firewall within win very good......

lets take slackware linux for example.isnt netscape included in the standard installation of this distro?so why not windows have bundled software?oh oh i forgot linux is linux but windows sux.wake up you l33t gyus....

about fedora project.i think that they may trying to have some real earnings from this distro.its still free but for how long?EA games has recently announced that they will soon provide their games for linux too.and we are talking about real support.......hm support to a free OS?i don't think so.the present for linux is little support = no incombatibilities.i wonder how the future will be.wait and see.

about phispreek or whatever.where exactly did u see in my previous thread that i was talking about you?another "behind my monitor clever guy" huh?
    i'm not gonna fight you back, dude.you really dont worth it.i expected much more politeness from a senior member.but i really dont give a ****.

c ya
    www.rootforge.com

Windows SP2 will not be including a built in AV solution.

"Anti-virus vendors needn't worry at this stage. Despite dipping its toes into anti-virus tech last year Microsoft is not providing native virus scanning capabilities via SP2."

Source: http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/se...le.php/3317711

Just last week NAI released a dat file for the netsky virus. The dat file only identified the virus but was not able to delete or clean the virus. You would think that if an antivirus software could detect a virus it could delete it, but nope. It couldn't. So we ended up having to block and delete all .zip files until the next day when NAI released an updated dat file that was able to detect and delete/clean the netsky virus.
    I guess the time to release a fix could be a major factor. I have found that same problem many times over the years, even with other products. I guess in reality it would take a few hours to figure out how it works, figure out how to clean it without breaking windows and then testing it for another few hours. Many of the fix actions require repairing key windows components and editing the registry. I always look around everytime a contract comes up, but my solution is so customized and layered that it would take some major shift to get me to spent weeks redesigning the whole thing. You may find with other products you will run into a delay while waiting for a fix.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Alrighty then. Why don't you set \Program Files \windows and \windows\system32 read-only for all but the administrator and let us know how many applications still work, hmmm?
    So because most people could care less about learning how to properly lock down an NT file system means that it is less secure than a *nix file system? You are trying to say that because the file system may not be as "clean" it is less secure. What you are complaining about is a matter of personnal preference, not security ability.

I guess the time to release a fix could be a major factor. I have found that same problem many times over the years, even with other products. I guess in reality it would take a few hours to figure out how it works, figure out how to clean it without breaking windows and then testing it for another few hours. Many of the fix actions require repairing key windows components and editing the registry. I always look around everytime a contract comes up, but my solution is so customized and layered that it would take some major shift to get me to spent weeks redesigning the whole thing. You may find with other products you will run into a delay while waiting for a fix.
    We were not trying to fix infected systems. We were trying to delete infected attachments from email messages. Groupshield was able to detect that an attachment was infected, but it would not DELETE it. No fixing, no patching, no infection, no DELETING. Even the NAI technician that we always deal with was confused as to why it was released because it didn't function as advertised and was obviously not tested. I totally understand that it takes more time to fix an infected system than to identify an infected file.

BANNED
    I had pneumonia the other day when i posted what i posted.
    It really wasnt directed toward you phish you were just the last post I scanned, your right i didnt even read it.
    the swiss cheese thing was the thing that got on my nerves then i just scanned the rest and started babbling.
    o well sorry about jumpin your bones for no good reason
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

I totally understand that it takes more time to fix an infected system than to identify an infected file.
    Then what's the issue? It detected it and then deleted it a short time later?

Are you running Netshield on the same server?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.