Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fortress

I work for a high school. We use fortress ( Google for "fortres") in combination with cooler and clean slate. To eliminate people from doing the boot floppy trick we locked out our bios's and set C: to boot first. we also removed their ability to run exe's (cept for whatever is there to begin with), zip's, and batch (not to mention a plethora of other things that I wont get into).

Why do we do this? Because people like to screw around. Whats the real need to exploit fortress except to do something that you probably shouldn't be doing in the first place. Not to mention the fact that the whole post was some kind of self promotion with no real exploit given nor the correct way to gather information about the software product.

I'm with avenger, and anyone who doesn't understand why we're upset most likely hasn't been a tech at a high school for a substantial period of time (if I'm wrong about this, my apologies)

good to see someone who knows EXACTLY what Im talking about.
    Makes you want to strangle them or worse some days
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

I hear you on that one...

The post was just self promotion, and he didn't even take the time to post correct info about fortress.

He didn't give a good url for Fortress (just said "google for fortress" which is the wrong search to do if you want to learn about it)i

He also gave the wrong key combo to open up the password box

Conclusion:
    Anyone who read this post and found the information to be useful..... you just wasted 5 minutes of your life

He also gave the wrong key combo to open up the password box
    Actually, no, at my school, that IS the key combo. I checked it today.

Also, after reading posts to this at school, I showed my teacher who notified the sysadmin of our school network. After showing him this website and the posts within this topic, he sat me down and had a talk with me. After this 'talk' we had, I proceeded to never bother with the software again.

Please excuse what you seem to be calling me, 'bragging' avenger, as I was just stating a curious thing that I found at school. I am in no way a malicous person and would never want to help the so called 'kiddies' at my school. I agree with you in all other aspects of your posting, however.

Sorry for this post to begin with. Nothing of the like shall be posted again. Thank you for your time and please delete this topic if it pleases the committee.
    MySig != Worth your time

Well my friend, i believe that you've learnt a valuable lesson then, but next time before you decide to sign up at a site make it a RULE TO ALWAYS read the FAQ
    Other then that, i hope that you got suspended from school, because of your actions were both Immature, and disrespectful towards your school, and the sys admin, that has to repair computers after "skiddies" like yourself come along and screw with things they know nothing about.

.:front2back:.

lol front2back he didnt mess anything up. read what he did...then tell me if he messed anything up or crashed anything. i dont like gettin in arguements but when 4 people r negging one guy for his discovery...and tellin him that they hope he gets suspended? i dunno seems a lil harsh. What if a girl pressed control esc. on accident and the control box comes up...should she just get suspended from tryin to "hack" or whatever u harsher people would wanna call it. If he took it farther and took advantage of the situation that he took the security down...sure then suspend him. Thats what everyone is always tellin other people to do...if u somehow find a vulnerability or exploit then notify the proper supervisors or whoever and fix the problem...as he did with his school sysadmins...yet u still suggest he be suspended. I'm glad u arent my school admin...if i found a huge hole i wouldnt let u know or i wouldnt do anything about it because of the suspension factor...i'd just leave it how it is...until some other punk comes along that doenst care about suspension and takes complete advantage of it then really messes somethin up. My conclusion is that at least he's doing the right thing about notifying his school officials and not ****in around with anything...i know he acts alot more mature than other people would about it. If i was a school admin then i would thank him and keep in touch with him. Should the people at eEye get suspended or arrested for the work they do??? i know its a complete different field but they notify the rightful owners and dont take advantage of the situation as this kid didnt.

Banned
    At my high school, they just installed fortress and its horrible. If you click on start the shutdown menu pops-up. Its such a bad piece of software. For example today we had to read one of the java tutorials on the java website (which are horrible if i might add) and it wouldnt let us open internet explorer from the desktop. We all found out that you had to use the quicklaunch (if you had one) to open it. That doesnt make any sense why they would lock the desktop shortcut but not the quicklaunch. I know it probly isnt the software but the people that installed it and didnt take the time to configure it properly.

deftones12
    Spydrpop was not negged in my opion for his "discovery" he was negged for the way he presented it. I read the post when there was only one reply and to be brutally honest about it he came across as a 13 year old shouting look what I found. After reading his following post I reckon he got the message. It was closer to - this is what I found and this is what I done about it.
    There are guidelines on how to post on this site for very good reasons. There is a very diverse community on antionline in every sense of the word. For many people here english is not even their first langauge. The community ranges from students to hobbiests to security proffessional to system admins and everyone else in between.
    What it comes down to is IMHO you want to communicate on a network you have to use the proper protocals.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Just a note for you admins using fortress... it sucks. I suggest you look into Hypertechnologies DeepFreeze which r0x0rs s0x0rs. As for the kid dinking around with it, kids will be kids and it is that same type of curiosity which started me (and probably many of you) on the road to true geekdom. Instead of punishing him someone should take the time to teach him about the technololgy he's clearly interested in and why it has been implemented and why its important, thats what school is for, to teach those willing to learn, not to punsih them.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Yeah, Im all about learning. But there are ways to find out things. I asked my computer teacher if he would be willing to show me the things I was interested in, and he did. I got my first looks at the novell networking enviroment there, got a look at behind the scenes stuff, also the first look at hardware... but I didnt attempt to circumvent security first.

If you lock your front door with a cheap lock (fortres) and I break that lock and enter, and you catch me there... are you gonna explain to me why the lock was installed? and show me how the lock is supposed to work, etc?
    If so whats your address?
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.