Thread: VB or C++ API

VB or C++ API

Hello,

I want to start writing programs that interact with XP through the windows API, and was looking for good links and open source programs. Have searched through planetsourcecode with no luck. I want to use the API for more security sided things, such as working with user accounts and the like.

you can make api calls with both but you'll find the c++ apps are much smaller, faster and far more portable.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

api calls can be made with any programming language (sort of)- it's the interface between app's and windows. my point being, don't let "api calls" be a concern when deciding what language you want to program in.
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Just Another Geek
    You can find alot of info about the Windows API on MSDN.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Most windows API's were written to be interfaced with C/C++, as most take pointers as arguments. BUT don't let this deter you from using VB. You can use a seperate API or the varptr() function to simulate indirection in Visual Basic.

Unless you want to do something really hacky and low level, you can probably do it equally easily with VB.

However I strongly discourage you from using VB because it is no longer in active development by its manufacturer (M$).

Instead either use C++ (the various C++ compilers for win32 are mostly compatible), one of the ".NET" languages (I'd recommend C# because that's the main one really), or something else 3rd party like Delphi.

Doing dodgy hacky low level stuff will pretty much force you to use C (Possibly C++) and maybe even assembler (trust me, you want to use C if poss). However that doesn't mean you have to write your whole program in it.

Slarty